"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, October 1, 2021

Why I need to find my voice

I was rolling ideas around in my head for a theme for the 31-day writing challenge. I had several ideas I was mulling over, when I felt the Lord say "finding your voice." Once I heard that I could not remember the other ideas that had been floating around in my head just moments before. I knew it was the right fit. You see, I started this blog in November 2011 and I LOVED it. I loved sitting down and putting my thoughts into a post. I didn't try to censor what I was writing or my even my feelings, I just put it all out there. It was very freeing. 

Then, a few years ago a couple started bullying me. I was not in a position where I could avoid them and even though I tried to get help many times, nothing was resolved. They spoke into my life in ways they had no business doing. They talked about what I posted on Facebook, how I was always negative, they talked about how I parented, about how I taught, they insinuated that things were not right in my marriage, and the more it went on the more I shrunk into myself. I no longer posted freely. I second, third, or 100th time doubted what I should post, what I should say, what I should do. I knew that what they were saying was not true. But, 2+ years of them constantly putting me down had it's toll on me and I lost my voice. I went through a phase where I pretty much only posted Bible Verses on social media because no one could say I was being negative if I did that. I avoided them as much as I could, but it didn't matter, they would just private message me. 

Anyway, that is why I feel the need to find my voice again. I spoke of it a little bit here, but every time I sit down to write on this blog, I freeze up. I can "force" myself to write every once in a while, but I don't love it like I used to because I am so scared of what will be said about what I write. Those people are no longer in my life and I want to completely break the chains they had over me and be able to freely post, write, whatever I want, whenever I want. I need to find my voice again.

So, for this particular challenge, I want to find my writing voice again. It may not look the same as it
used to, but the Lord might take me right back to where I was. Regardless, I know where to look when I need something, and that is to my Lord and Savior. 

One of my favorite songs when I feel needy and down is "Lord I Need You" by Matt Maher.

Lord I Need You by Matt Mayer

Lord, I come, I confess
Bowing here I find my rest
Without You I fall apart
You're the One that guides my heart

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

Where sin runs deep Your grace is more
Where grace is found is where You are
Where You are, Lord, I am free
Holiness is Christ in me

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

So teach my song to rise to You
When temptation comes my way
When I cannot stand I'll fall on You
Jesus, You're my hope and stay

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

You're my one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You 

You can listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvfMDhTyMA

Is there something you need? What will it take for you to go after it? Let's find the courage to explore our needs together.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, your post is so powerful! I can relate to being judged, though in my case it didn't extend to bullying, for my writing online. I am so sorry for what this couple did to you and really hope and pray the Lord leads you on a path to finding your authentic voice again. #31Days2021

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Astrid, I appreciate the encouragement :) It did not start with my writing, it actually started with my teaching...then bled into everything else.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of how you were treated. To share your story is a vulnerable thing, and it is difficult when others mistreat that vulnerability. You have a beautiful writing voice and I pray that you will be encouraged as you take on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement. My prayer is for God to shine through, to use this as His platform, not mine.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you experienced this bullying, Cindy, but I'm glad you're writing again. I hope this challenge helps you find your voice and rediscover your love of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. That is my prayer as well.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing your story with us. I can't even imagine how that must have felt, but I'm glad you're finding your voice again. You write beautifully, and I know the Lord will use you to be an encouragement to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Oh I am sorry that you had to go through that! Some people are not happy until they make someone unhappy. :( I'm so glad you're giving this a go once more! You write what is on your heart - you write for that one person that truly needs to hear what you have to say. Buggers on the naysayers and abusers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie Ann, thank you! You made me giggle with your "buggers" comment. I need to remember my "why" when writing too and stop letting fear get in my way. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I love your topic! And I completely relate to what you have shared. I have stepped away from blogging for a bit. And then I went through something similar last year, from a source I would never have imagined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth, I understand that completely! I hope that you are able to start blogging again, I do find it relaxing and cathartic.

      Delete
  7. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks florarie florisis

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.