"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, October 8, 2021

Complete

I have to be honest when I saw that today's writing prompt was "complete" I was like I have nothing, nada, zilch. Just an empty head. So, I sat and pondered it a while, and then a line from a movie that I have not seen in years popped into my head..."You complete me." Does anybody know what movie that line comes from (or would you have before you saw the meme?)...Jerry McGuire. It's probably been 10 years, at least, since I have seen that movie. So, what is it that made that line so completely memorable? I think it is just the sweetness of the moment. I think in our own way we all want someone to say to us "you complete me." We want to be half of a whole. We want someone to
complete us. Someone we can laugh with, cry with, share moments with, and grow old with.  While it is a nice and comforting thought that another person can do that for us we are never fully complete until we have Christ in our lives. Nobody, no matter how much they love us, and care for us, will ever complete us in the way that Christ does. He takes our broken and makes us whole, He takes our mess and gives us a message, He takes our wandering and sets us on a path, and He takes our purposelessness and fills us with a purpose. He, who is before all things, loves us in a way that is better than we could ever imagine, and He accepts us just as we are.  
 
No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. 1John 4:12


12 comments:

  1. isn't it a confounding notion to think that our love for each, completes God's love within us? we are so fractured and broken, but showing/acting out our love serves as a completion point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, yes, His ways are mysterious indeed!

      Delete
  2. Cindy, this is a powerful way to put it, "He takes our mess and gives us a message."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He takes our mess and gives us a message." I love it! That resonates with me. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Yes, I thought of that movie line too, but you put it in the context of the gospel in a beautiful way.

    FMF#32

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.