"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Monday, October 25, 2021

You are what you think

I am sure you have heard the saying "You are what you eat." Well, today the writing prompt is "think."

To that, I say, you are what you think.

Philippians 4:8 states:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I am constantly telling my kids and youth group "garbage in, garbage out." Whatever you are feeding your mind is what is going to come back out. Good stuff in, good stuff out. 

One of the best things we can do for ourselves and our mental health is to put good stuff in. Every single thing that I read, watch, listen to or engage in effects how I think, not just of myself, but others as well. If I am constantly listening to music that is a downer, movies that are extremely violent, risque, lots of cursing and slurs, music with cursing and slurs, engaging in other people's arguments, it is going to affect me. I am going to be more violent, quicker to anger, slower to forgive, and probably have a string of words coming out of my mouth that would put the devil to shame. If I am constantly a negative ninny, dwelling on everything that could possible go wrong, does go wrong, upsets me, could upset me or whatever, I am going to keep myself in a negative state of mind. However, if I do the HARD work of training myself to look for the positives in each and every situation, then I will have a better outlook. It doesn't mean that I am going to get it right every time, but some time is better than never. I choose to do the hard work. I chose to censor what I read, what I listen to, what and who I engage with, the movies and TV shows I watch. I know who I want to be and who I don't want to be.

I want to be a positive and encouraging influence, therefore I chose to think (meditate) on whatever is lovely, true, right, lovely...and that is what I try to spread around.

What are you spreading around? Think on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.