"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Making an Effort

Today's writing prompt is effort. 

Effort is the mental or physical energy to do something! 

It is an exertion of force. 

I find it fascinating that the Bible uses the phrase "make every effort" over and over again to make a point. 

Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Luke 13:24

Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Romans 14:19

Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3

Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience. Hebrews 4:11

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8

Every single thing you do requires some measure of effort. Obviously, some things require more effort than others. Can I just tell you that the more effort your put into something the better the results will be? If I want to have a good marriage then I have to be willing to work at it. If I want a good friendship then I have to be willing to work at it. If I want a good grade on a paper or test, then I have to work at it. If I want to be a good piano player, I have to work at it. If I want to be a good Christian, yep, I still have to work at it. If I want to have a relationship with Christ then I HAVE to put effort into it. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Anything worth pursing requires effort and you have to be willing to put in the effort! If you are only halfway in, you will only see mediocre results. I think this last verse sums it up well, if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive, while this verse is speaking to spiritual qualities, they can apply to anything you set your mind to...if you increase your knowledge and effort in that subject matter, it will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive, and feeling let down when you didn't get the grade/job/position/friend/boyfriend that you were hoping for...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.