"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Preparing for Advent

Ever since the kids were little, Matt and I have looked for more ways to keep Christ in Christmas and not focus so much on the other stuff.
Our traditions start with us putting up the tree on Thanksgiving day...it gives the kids something to do while I am cooking (I help too, but we really let them do most of the decorating).
Then, at the beginning of December we read all the Christmas stories, some even related to Christ's birth.
On Christmas Eve we bake cookies for Santa, get carrots for the reindeer and set them out.
We also bake a cake for Jesus.
Then on Christmas day we get up, see that Santa and the reindeer have eaten their food, and we read the note from Santa...telling the kids Merry Christmas and not to forget that it's Jesus' birthday!
We open presents, read about Jesus' birth and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Knowing there is no greater gift that we can give Him, than ourselves. I don't know if this message is taken yet...but we are certainly working on it.
But, we have never actually prepared for the Advent season before.
This year is different and I am so excited. I want the kids to know and love Jesus, I want the whole season to mean something to them! Not for it to be just about one day (even though that one day is SO important)!
 Let's take Christmas apart and learn everything we can about what leads up to that day.
We have two ways we are doing that this year.
First, we are reading  The ADVENTure of Christmas by Lisa Whelchel.
This book starts out by explaining what Advent is. In case you are wondering, Advent means "to come" and is talking about Jesus' coming to earth as a baby on Christmas day. The season of Advent is ALL about looking forward to celebrating the day when our almighty God stepped into history as a human being.
The book goes on to tell you how the Christmas tree came about and so many more traditions for the things that we do at Christmas...not going to tell you more...are you curious? Buy the book :)
I am so excited!! I get to celebrate and look forward to this amazing day and I am learning too!
Second, we are reading the book The Advent Jesse tree by Dean Meador Lambert. This book was introduced to me by some wonderful friends and I am so thankful to know about it!
If you are looking for ways to celebrate this advent season, I would highly recommend both books. The kids are excited about learning more about the advent season too! They can't wait until December 1st!
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." Luke 2:14

3 comments:

  1. We are so looking forward to Advent starting tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom-in-law got that book for me one year! It's great! Now if I can just find a craft store around here....
    -Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie,
    Which book? The Avent Jesse tree or The Adventure of Christmas? Both are great books :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.