"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, February 28, 2014

Paralyzed

I realized recently that I have been paralyzed by fear and it has rendered me unable to make decisions! I am trying to figure out what curriculum I am going to use next school year for the kids. (I know it's early, but we have a lot going on, including a major move across the world, which is going to spin things out of control for a while!) Also, I hate waiting for summer to make these kinds of decisions because then I don't get to enjoy my summer. So, I like to try and make decisions early, enjoy my summer and know what I am going to do.
 
Anyway, it hit me that I was letting me fear control me and it had made me unable to decide on anything. Admitting you have a problem is the first step in fixing the problem, right?
 
So, why the fear...
 
Two words that strike terror in any parent...
 
Middle School....
 
Shudder.
 
Yes, I know. Kayla is 6th grade this year, so technically she is middle school. But, when I was growing up, middle school was 7th grade, so that's what I have always considered middle school.
 
So, why now? Well, I feel like it is time to get more serious about her schooling and she needs to take real Science. I will no longer be able to teach her and Elijah together. She needs more serious Science...stuff like Life Science, Physical Science or Earth Science. I shudder again. I hated Science and making a decision about Science alone scared me too.
 
So, once I realized I was letting fear paralyze me, I also realized I needed to get over it and start making some decisions. If I don't, the move will be upon us, I'll still not have any decisions made and it will be summer in a blink and I won't be enjoying my summer and exploring our new country. I will be working on lesson plans. Sigh. I can't let that happen.
 
So, this is what I have figured out and am fairly confident that it won't be changed:
I will do Bible and History with both kids together, like we have always done. I may also do Cracking the Greek Alphabet with them both, as that will be helpful for where we are going to be living. They will both do teaching textbooks, but on their own level. I love this math program because it is completely on the computer, it teaches and grades.
 
I am still researching and trying to figure out a way that I can do more with them together, but for now, this works.
 
"I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4
 
"...Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27b

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.