"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A New Adventure

So, about 3 weeks ago I was talking to Matt and he said he had a phone call from the Unit Chief (head of all international staffing) asking him to consider a job in Turkey, Japan or Athens, Greece. His initial reaction was "no" to all three. But, we started talking about the pros and cons, prayed about it and talked some more.
 
We have been praying for God to open doors for Matt in his job. We have been praying for a long time. Since before we moved back to Charlotte. So, while we were debating Matt finally said, this has to be our open door. In his job, you don't get called into a position, you apply and may the best man or woman win. When we moved to Nairobi he applied and got it. When we moved to Singapore we got a phone call and the assistant to the unit chief asked him to consider moving to Singapore, we had the weekend to decide. It was a very obvious open door. I'm not sure why we didn't see this as such right away, but it's obvious that it is. The Unit Chief HIMSELF called Matt. He told him if he didn't want any of these jobs, to let him know, not just dismiss it, because he wants him to stay overseas. That is where Matt's strength lies and his unit chief realizes that. If nothing else it was confirmation that Matt is good at his job.
 
If Matt decides not to take one of these jobs, is only other choice is to be in Charlotte, stuck in a job he does not like, until such a time as a job that he would want comes open. Matt has a list of places he would love to go, but none of these were on his list.
 
But, when God speaks and the door is open, you have to make a decision. You can choose to walk through the open door, being obedient. Or you can close the door and go your own way. I had done a tour of Turkey before and while I enjoyed the tour, I wouldn't want to live there. We had also been to Hong Kong Disneyland, but wouldn't want to live in Japan. In both places we would have to learn the language and I'm not good with languages.
 
So, in case you haven't figured it out yet, we picked Athens, Greece.
 
Main details:
We are leaving the last week of May 2014.
We will be living there for three years.
We are putting our house up for sale.
We will come home and visit every summer.
Everyone we know who has lived there say the Greeks like Americans.
Everyone we've talked to that has lived there or visited has enjoyed it.
The kids were upset at first, especially Kayla, but as the days go on, they get more and more excited.
I'm sorry if this is the first you are hearing of this and that offends you...it's difficult to get the word out to everyone in a timely manner.
We would appreciate all the prayers we can get for a smooth transition.
We are excited about seeing Greece, we have studied it in school over the last few years and it will be exciting to watch History come alive!
We will most likely be living in an apartment, and will know more in a few months.
You can plan your vacation to come see us!! We would love visitors!!!!
Obviously the downside is being so far from family and friends. We will take our Vonage phone with us and you can call if you want to (keeping in mind the time difference of course!). (I'm not quite sure of the time difference yet, but when I figure it out, I'll let you know!) I'm not trying to make light of the situation, we will miss you all terribly, but we will keep in touch.
This experience will continue to grow and stretch us beyond our comfort level.
You can follow us on this blog (keep me accountable to write more!), Facebook, send an email or send us notes through snail mail, we will answer any and all letters.
It's not easy to just up and move and go to a country where you have never been before. I'm not overly worried about it, I know Who goes before me.
 
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.