"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Thursday, July 1, 2021

Wait Expectantly

 This morning as  I was doing my devotions I read a verse that I have read dozens of times. However, this morning it hit me differently. Have you ever had that happen to you? I love how each time I read the Scriptures something else jumps out at me. I was reading in Psalms 5 and I got to verse 3. "In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly." And I thought "when is the last time that I came before the Lord and waited, expectantly?!"

We'll take a quick pause for a little definition clarification. What does it mean to be expectant? Some definitions are: 

  • to think of as likely to happen or come
  • to think or believe (that something will happen)
  • full of hope or expectation

Hmmm... likely to happen...believe...full of hope or expectation...

How often do I approach the throne of grace expecting something to happen? How often do I believe that my prayers are going to be answered? How often am I full of hope and expectation? 

Can I be completely honest? 

Not enough.

Not near enough. 

Why? What possible excuse could I have? Our Father in Heaven INVITES us to approach His throne boldly (Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16). We have an invitation, a personal invitation, to approach God's throne boldly.

Yet...we don't take it seriously. We say rote prayers. We get distracted, we (fill in the blank here).

Can I encourage you (and me) to approach God's throne boldly with our request? It is SOOO important.

Why is it important, you may ask. Well, I am soooo glad you asked. It is important to pray with precision, to be specific in your prayers. If you simply say "God help me." Well, that's good and nice, but how will you know when your prayer is answered? Don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for this kind of prayer. Kayla was driving on our way to TN this morning and a semi-truck came over on us, and I very loudly prayed, "Lord, Lord, Lord!" It was all I could say at the moment. He knew what was needed and the Spirit interceded for us. He protected us, and all was well. Praise God.

 Yet, if I am going about my day doing just whatever and all I pray is "Lord, help me." What am I really asking? Help me with what? I need to be specific with what I am asking, so I can SEE when the prayer is answered. God ALWAYS answers our prayers. Sometimes He says yes, sometimes He says no, and sometimes He asks us to wait. Regardless, we need to be approaching Him expectantly!

As I read further along, I came to Psalm 9:10. Sometimes we do not believe or trust that God is going to answer our prayers in the way we want them. And, right there is the problem, "the way WE want them." We need to be praying not my will be done, but God's will be done. Which is hard. Still being real here. We want it our way all the time, it is the way we are created, to think of ourselves, our wants, our needs, our desires. But, I do know the Lord's name, and I do need to trust in Him. Why? Because He has never forsaken me. Nor has He forsaken you. Sometimes it feels like He has and we have to step back and examine the situation from His perspective and not ours. Look up, not at the problem. God has not left you. You are not alone. You are not forsaken. Sometimes we are in the valley, and sometimes we are on the mountain, but no matter where we are, we need to cling to His promises. Can I challenge you (and me) to come to Him, with your hands open and ready to receive whatever it is He has for you? Learn to approach His throne boldly and then wait expectantly, because the Lord has not forsaken you.

2 comments:

  1. It's such a joy to discover new gems in Scripture we've read for years. The Holy Spirit is faithful to guide us into all truth ... I'm so grateful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.