"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Saturday, July 17, 2021

Our story

I met Matt my freshman year at Trevecca Nazarene College.  He was box mates (that means he shared a mailbox) with my friend, Mariam. I really thought he was cute so Mariam and I arranged a meeting at the mailbox and she introduced us. Matt was dating someone else at the time. I'm not sure if I knew that at the time or not. I don't really recall seeing him with her before we met, but I do recall seeing him a few times after that with her, and I didn't like it much. Anyway, fast forward a few weeks and they were broken up and we started talking. Our first date we went to a Basketball game and then went out to eat with two of his friends. After the dinner they dropped me off at my dorm, but then Matt and I met up a bit later and sat and talked for six hours straight. Our beginning was a lot of talking. We would talk for hours, in person or once curfew hit, even on the phone. In March 1997 we had been dating for a few weeks and became "official" boyfriend and girlfriend. We were at the lake when he asked me. It was kind of funny, he was so nervous and I remember him passing gas! I guess he felt very comfortable with me. I find it fascinating that I remember that detail so many years later!
Anyway, this is our story, mostly in pictures and a few details...dedicating this post to my wonderful husband and best friend. I love you Matt, more today than the day we got married. I didn't know it was possible and I am thankful to God for our relationship and friendship.

In March of 1998 we went to Matt's parents house in North Carolina for Spring Break. Matt and I took a day and went to the beach...it was the first time I had ever been to the beach and had seen an ocean up close. We had a blast and I was in awe of the beauty of God before and pretty in awe of this awesome guy as well! 

 
 Summer of 1998...we got engaged.
 At my brother's wedding in June 1998.
 
May 8, 1999 Matt graduated from Trevecca and we moved to North Carolina! We stayed with his parents (he stayed in the house and I stayed in guest bedroom area that was an addition to the house).
 
On May 15, 1999 I walked down the aisle alone....

BUT...after the ceremony I had my best friend to walk by my side...through sickness and health, poor or rich (we were very poor!)
Our wedding party and friends from college who had come to help celebrate our special day:

 
I should have known life would be an adventure when he tried to get under my dress before we even left the Church ;)
But somehow, I never saw it coming! Yes, we were poor, but we were living on love :) And, having a great time!

2000

A huge transition for Matt, we shaved his head and he's never gone back to having hair.

I was on the five year plan for college, but in May of 2001 I graduated from UNCC with my degree in Child and Family Development with a teaching licensure for Birth-Kindergarten. It was a very exciting day!
 
Christmas 2001
October 25, 2002 we went from a couple to a family! We were SOOOOO excited to be parents.
No one told me how hard child birth could be. Of course I knew that people used to die in childbirth, I never dreamed that I would almost be one of them. Hadn't we moved past that?  Kayla was much bigger than my doctor had anticipated.. At the end of the night, when I finally held her in my arms, all I could do was praise God that the trauma was with my body and my baby was healthy and unmarked by the ordeal. I had a full year recovery from her and I refused to have any more children unless my doctor could promise me a C-Section. At the end of my year recovery, she fully agreed with me.

December 2002, Kayla's dedication
 
Easter 2003

                                                                   December 2004
 
April 7, 2005 our little family became 4 and life got even more exciting!
 
Vacation Bible School, July 2005
 
 
Matt interviewed for a job in Nairobi in September 2005.
 
 
 
Christmas 2005
 
He got the job! Kids first passport photos!
 
 
Matt turns 30! June 2006
 
My 10 year high school reunion, September 2006
 
December 2006

December 27, 2006 the kids got on their first airplane ride and what an adventure it was! Thankfully they were so young they don't remember it...needless to say I was not quite the Proverbs 31 wife I would have liked to have been as our flights were delayed and we  literally had to run to catch our flight. I wanted to miss it, I was tired and cranky and Matt insisted we could make it. He was right, we caught it, our luggage didn't. We arrived in Nairobi some 30 hours after we had left home, tired, and without luggage (no soap, deodorant, underwear, diapers etc). It took two days for it all to get to us.
 
The giraffe center Feb. 2007
 
Elijah turns two!

                                                                           Our first African Safari, to Lake Nakuru, April 2007.
Second African Safari, Amboseli, July 2007
 
Our first trip to Disney World, December 2007
  To be continued...



 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.