"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Thursday, December 3, 2020

Another Project finished-Kayla's new bed!

 Matt had promised over a year ago to make a new bed for Kayla. Ever since we have moved into this house and Kayla went from a twin bed to a queen, we have been borrowing a bedroom set from my in-laws. Every once in a while my mother-in-law would say something about getting the bed back. So, about three weeks ago we decided to finally make good on the promise to Kayla. Matt designed the bed, figured up how much wood would be needed and brought it home. He measured the wood and Elijah cut the wood. Once all the wood was cut, I worked on sanding the edges so the wood could be painted.Matt had figured out the three colors to use on the bed and which boards should be painted which color. Once we had most of the wood sanded, Elijah and I worked on painting the boards. After we painted the boards Matt and Elijah worked together to put the frame and pieces together. Matt had decided it would be best to have it in pieces to make it easier to get upstairs to Kayla's room (he is smart like that!). And, when the time comes that she moves out, he can then take it apart and carry it back down the stairs. At one point when they were putting the bed together I asked Matt how he was going to do certain boards, once he showed me, I asked him why he wasn't putting them at the back of the bed, creating a sitting spot for Kayla. He told me his mind was blown and I was a genius. I seriously thought that was what he was planning to do from the beginning. We were trying to get the project finished before Kayla came home for Thanksgiving break. Unfortunately, Matt had miscalculated a few boards, so Elijah and I had to leave the project for him to finish. He worked on it while we were traveling. Once we got home Tuesday, and Matt got home from work, Matt and Elijah carried all the pieces up to Kayla's room to put it together (I tried to help, but I was so tired from traveling all day, I put a HUGE ding in the wall and decided it was better if I was done, LOL). On Friday, Matt was able to get the shelves in the bookcases, finishing the project! I love the way it turned out, but more importantly Kayla loves it and is working on getting her room organized. With the way the bed is made and the storage, she was able to eliminate her dresser, night stand and a tall bookcase from her room, freeing up floor space. Pictures from the project are below :)

I am thankful that Matt loves to do these kind of projects, and has been gifted with the creative brain to follow through. I am also thankful that he has the patience to teach Elijah how to use the different tools needed for this project and the patience to teach him how to do it right. We loved doing this project together and I am thankful for the joy that it has brought Kayla.


Old bed and set up





Cutting the first boards
Framing of bed



Sanding  



Sanding



                                               
Painting the boards

























































Painted boards

   










Putting the bed frame together
    
Where the seat would go                  












Taking the frame upstairs












Starting the process of putting it together












Coming together












Without shelves or the drawers that go underneath












4 big drawers, two for each side of the bed












Finished bed, you can see all the shelves

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.