"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Stand

Music is powerful. I believe that is why we use it in worship. If we really listen to the words we are singing, they have power. Power to tug on our heartstrings. Power to change us. Power to make us think. This morning I was listening to music as I was getting ready for my day and a song I wasn't familiar with came on. So, I asked Alexa what was playing and her response was "Stand" by Newsboys. While I was listening to the song several phrases kept jumping out at me and I am going to bold them in the lyrics below.

"STAND" (listen here)

Who will I be
When trouble comes callin' for me?
Will I live the way I believe
When I'm backed up against the wall?

What kind of heart do I have in my chest?
Does it beat for my Savior, or just for my flesh?
What will I do in the moment that everything falls?

I'm gonna stand in a world that's breaking
Stand for a truth unchangin'
I'm not ashamed, I've considered the cost
I'll stand right here at the foot of the cross
And stand


They can call me a fool
Or stubborn for following You
For trusting without any proof
But I've seen You here through it all

So what kind of person do I wanna be?
Am I committed to You or committed to me?
What will I choose the second that everything falls?


I'm gonna stand in a world that's breaking
Stand for a truth unchangin'
I'm not ashamed, I've considered the cost
I'll stand right here at the foot of the cross

And stand (Stand)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh)
Stand (Stand)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh)
I'm not ashamed, I've considered the cost
I'll stand right here at the foot of the cross

And stand up for the One who gave everything
Stand up because You deserve all of me
I won't give up, I won't give in
And if it takes all I am

I'm gonna stand in a world that's breaking (Oh)
Stand for a truth unchangin'
I'm not ashamed, I've considered the cost
I'll stand right here at the foot of the cross
(Oh)
And stand (Stand)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh) Jesus, help me
Stand (Stand)
(Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh)
I'm not ashamed, I've considered the cost (Not ashamed)
I'll stand right here at the foot of the cross (Oh, oh)
And stand 
 
 We are living in a world that feels like it is breaking apart. There is so much chaos, pain, drama, war, pandemic, death, and it can be hard to know where to turn. But, I have considered the cost. I want to be a light in the darkness. I don't want to contribute to the drama and chaos. My prayer is that I will stand for the truth that is unchanging no matter what comes my way. That I will choose gratitude over grumbling, light over darkness. I'm going to stand for truth, will you stand with me?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I want to stand. I have a firm foudation - a solid rock - but the storms can still feel overwhelming. I also don't want to add to the drama....but sometimes taking a stand (especially for truth) seems to do just that. It certainly takes wisdom. But I am committed to seeking that wisdom each day. Thanks for your encouragement today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I agree, sometimes taking a stand for truth does seem to add to the drama, we will daily pray for God's wisdom. I am so glad this post encouraged you today, thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.