"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, March 11, 2022

Heavy-Five Minute Friday

I am participating again in Five Minute Friday over at Kate's blog. Today the topic is heavy. I think we can all agree that the world is heavy right now. On a personal level I am dealing with my own burden of heavy: depression. Being vulnerable I have been on depression meds for a year and a half. Last summer my doctor increased my dosage. This week I am struggling. There's no real reason for it that I can see, everything is going along just fine. That's the problem with depression though, it is heavy and you cannot control it. It runs in my family and I know some of my triggers. Some of them I can control to an extent (making sure I am getting adequate sleep) and some I cannot control (hormones). When I am struggling I battle a lot of negativity in my head and this week the theme has been "is anything I am doing worthwhile." The devil sure knows how to fire his malicious attacks. However, in Jesus' name I am praying for a break-thru, a healing. I know that I am okay. I know that I have a meaning and purpose for being here. I know that this too shall pass. I also know that compared to the rest of the world, my burdens are light, and I can thank God for that. Going back to last week's theme we are not to carry these burdens alone. 

Yesterday I posted a Prayer for Ukraine, but it is relevant to all of us who have burdens we are carrying and loved ones we are praying for. I invite you to check it out as well and hopefully it will bring you some encouragement.

You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone. Exodus 18:18

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 NLT

 I don't know what heavy burdens you are dealing with today, but if you need prayer you can leave a comment or reach out to me in a private message and I will happily pray for you. You don't have to give any details if you do not want to, God knows and that is all that matters. To see what others have to say on this topic head over to Kate's blog.

Edited to add this quick book review I just ran across Is It Unspiritual to Be Depressed?

18 comments:

  1. I hear you, fellow depression-sharer and FMF Neighbour (#12).
    May you also find rest and relief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I hope and pray you find rest and relief as well!

      Delete
  2. Holding you in my prayers
    Just stopped by from FMF#10

    ReplyDelete
  3. May His peace continue to guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus, Cindy. ~Lisa, FMF #2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you, Cindy.

    Pray for those to whom the day
    is chasm-lined with dark and gloom;
    pray that they might find the way
    to leave depression's cold gray room
    and step into deserved light,
    free from that long-known attack
    and free at last from tiring fight.
    Pray they never need look back
    to doubt of meaning and of worth,
    to doubt that they are loved by God.
    Let weary hearts find their rebirth
    to grace that will remain unflawed
    and constant, through the coming years
    unmarred by stain of bitter tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, Andrew. Have you ever written a book?

      Delete
    2. Cindy, I am so glad you liked this.

      I have written a couple of novels, yes... Blessed Are The Pure Of Heart and Emerald Isle, also a Christmas story, Angela, and two short self-help guided, Faith In The Night and PTSD And The Holidays. They're all available on Kindle. My author name is Andrew Budek-Schmeisser.

      Carol Ashby, who is a far better writer than I could ever hope to be (look her up!) is curating my poems for possible publication some day.

      Delete
    3. Andrew, that's really cool! I have heard of Carol but not read any of her books.

      Delete
  5. I like your outlook... that this is something that can be handled. Twixt God and the help he provides, you'll be okay. visiting from FMF29

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annette, I know who is in control and that brings me great comfort!

      Delete
  6. I'm with you, Cindy ... grateful for meds that keep my brain chemistry in a stable, healthy place. For sure, the endless crisis after crisis that we've all been experiencing is bringing people's stress levels higher. And the 24/7 news cycle does us no favors.

    May the fresh air and hope of spring bring a bright encouragement to you, friend. Take good care of yourself. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Linda, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. Cindy, depression is a vicious thing. I have loved ones who suffer and I watch their struggle. Bless you -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your prayer for Ukraine.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping by...praying that you are having a better week. Thinking about you today!

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.