"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Share Four Somethings-January 2022

I have been pretty quiet this month, not posting very much. It's not for a lack of "want to" but more of a "freeze up" when I attempt to write anything. This happens when I am dealing with a heavier dose of depression, I always get quiet, apparently so do my thoughts when it comes time to talk. It seems like forever since my last post on sharing four somethings, even though time still seems to be moving at a rapid pace. Anyway, welcome back to share four somethings, a monthly link-up hosted by Heather Gerwing (thank you Heather!) where you literally share four somethings on the fourth Saturday of the month. The categories are Something Loved, Something Gleaned, Something Braved, and Something Achieved (new topics for a new year!). Even if you do not participate in the link-up, I would love to hear your four somethings from the last month. 

Something Loved

I believe this will be the easiest topic this year! We had a good Christmas at home. Kayla was home for a few weeks and we really enjoyed our time with her. We were able to travel to Tennessee the day after Christmas and see my brother and his family, while staying with my younger sister and her family. It is always good when we can see our family and I don't get to see mine often enough. Kayla was able to go back to school on-time this year (last year this semester she had to start out online for the first 2 weeks because we were quarantined). She also got new glasses (doesn't she look cute?!). 

Elijah finally started his driving portion of driver's ed this week. Here in North Carolina before you can get your learner's permit you have to take the driver's ed class (and pass it!) and then do 12 hours of driving with the instructor. Elijah finished his class in October and was called to start driving this week. He was supposed to get it all done this week but the weather last weekend cancelled Tuesday and the threat of snow yesterday cancelled that one, so he will (hopefully) do his final 6 hours next week. The earliest we could get him in to the DMV is late February and then he will be well on his road to independence ๐Ÿ˜‰ It's hard to believe I am in the stage of life to have a 19 year old and almost 17 year old...so close to adulthood. But, I love it. I love seeing them gain their independence and growing into the young adults God wants them to be.

This month one of my friends posted on Facebook looking for friends to participate in a book exchange. It's one where you only buy one book and have the potential to get up to 36 books in return. I wanted to do it to support my friend and because it sounded fun and I really needed something to look forward to (who doesn't love book mail?!). You are supposed to buy and send your favorite book. I went into it with the attitude that if I buy one book and only get one book in return I am happy. I knew if I expected 36 books I would be disappointed. I have been pleasantly surprised to have receive 10 books ๐Ÿ˜€ that are other people's favorites!! Even better, I have not read any of them ๐Ÿ˜

 One last thing that I have loved this month is that we finally got snow last night!! It has been since 2018 that we have had more than flurries.

Something Gleaned

If you know me you know I am always in a book or three...I am always in at least one fiction and one nonfiction. One of the things that resonated with me when I was reading Unstuffed: Decluttering Your Home, Mind & Soul:

"Hospitality is not inviting people into our perfect homes; it is inviting them into our imperfect hearts."-Edie Wadsworth

My word for the year is FOCUS and I have come across several things already that caught my attention: 

"When we take our eyes off ourselves and focus on Him, our self-centered inadequacies vanish in the power of the I am." First5 (1/11/22) (in the "more moments" section)

"When we focus on Jesus instead of the hopelessness of our situation, we are renewed." -First 5 (1/18/22)

"As we acknowledge who the Lord is, let us turn our focus from our struggles to His holiness, knowledge and power so that we can find hope in Him." -First 5 (1/18/22) (in the "more moments" section)

Something Braved

This one is hard for me. I think my something brave this month is getting up and getting done the things that have to be done, despite the depression. The other thing is continuing to write in my gratitude journal daily, because no matter what there is always something to be thankful for.

Something Achieved

 We always get new books, puzzles, and games for Christmas. After Christmas was over we had two stacks of games/puzzles that would not fit on our shelves so they were on the floor. It was driving me crazy and I finally got around to organizing them last weekend (thanks to the ice storm!). I also organized my TBR shelve that is in my "work" room (white bookcase). The books sitting on the floor next to my white bookcase are some of the books for the Little Free Library I am opening (I should get the library this week!! So close to being open!!).

So, what about you? What is something that you have loved in this month? Something you have gleaned? Something achieved and something brave? I would love to hear from you!

"To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Philippians 4:20

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

You can join the link-up here.

12 comments:

  1. That book exchange sounds awesome, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it has been a true blessings! I was seriously spoiled to get so much book mail over the last few weeks...now I will be going through withdrawals, LOL!

      Delete
    2. Cindy - I’m featuring your wise words on this week’s Porch ๐Ÿ’Œ
      http://www.lindastoll.net/2022/01/porch-33-phone-ish-edition.html

      Delete
  2. A Little Free Library sounds intriguing. I read your post about it, and I look forward to your update when you actually have it up and running. I hope you will post pictures of it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I absolutely will! I am super excited (although in the 6ish weeks I have been waiting it has dimmed a bit), but I truly can't wait to get it going! I just hope it is a blessing to our community.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had success with the book exchange. I haven't had good luck with those in the past. Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing! Megan Byrd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan, book exchanges can be very much hit or miss. People saying they will do it and then not...I took a chance and this time it paid off. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I did one of those book exchanges years ago and it was fun, I think I received about 8 or so. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I am enjoying the book mail for sure :) Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  5. I saw a book exchange posted on Facebook and I didn't think it would actually work. That's brilliant that you got ten new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, it only works if you have people on your Facebook page that are also willing to do it, I am up to 12 books!!! I am thrilled with that and never expected to receive that many!

      Delete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.