"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Thursday, January 6, 2022

New Beginnings

There is something about a new year. It's fresh and full of hope. It's like a new notebook or new book, full of possibilities. It's like we realize we are starting a new chapter and have the chance to do something different. Elijah said on Saturday that he didn't understand what the big deal is about a new year. He's like "nothing changes." While he's not wrong, I see it as a new beginning, a chance to start over. Like the freshly fallen snow, it's pure and clean, there is nothing that has marred it yet. We have the expectancy that this year will be better than last. 

We started a new semester yesterday, so another new beginning. Kayla went back to college, her classes will be different, her friendships are stronger, and it was easier for her to leave us than it ever has been before. It's a fresh start for her and an exciting one. 

Elijah also started a new semester. He has some new classes, some classes that are continuing, and will start 2 computer classes online through SPCC tomorrow, which will be another new beginning for him. We have chances for new beginnings every school year, every semester, every calendar year, and the beginning of each new year. We have different dates that are significant to us that also mark new beginnings.

We fail to realize that we have that chance every single day. The Bible tells that because of God's love for us His mercies are new EVERY morning! We have a new chance every morning when we wake up. A chance not to make the same mistakes we made yesterday. A chance to let go of the bitterness we were holding onto yesterday. A chance to see each day as a day full of possibilities. We need to realize we are going to make mistakes. We are not going to be perfect, but we need to persevere and not give up. Just because I am trying to eat healthily and ate cookies yesterday, does not mean that I have to give up trying to eat healthy. It means I made a mistake and don't have to make the same mistake today, it's a choice. But, so often, instead of seeing each day (or year) as a new beginning, we see it as a continuation of being lost in our mistakes and hopelessness. We say, "I am never going to get healthy, so why even try." Or "God's never going to answer my prayer, so I might as well stop praying about this." 

We so often think too, that we have to change who we are to come to God. We think, first, I need to settle this, then I will go to church. Or, I need to do that before I can go to church. The thing is, God accepts us right where we are, He just loves us t0o much to leave us there. He knows we are not perfect and loves us anyway. I read this morning that once  Charlotte Elliott realized she could go to God without having to fix things about herself first, she wrote "Just As I Am," a hymn that a hundred years later became an altar call song that is sung around the world at different churches. What could we accomplish if we just let God use us as we are, without excuses as to why He can't use us as we are. Don't you think that the God who created the universe AND us, knows how He wants to fulfill His purpose in us? And, if He's willing to do the hard work in us, why don't we accept Him and let Him? Why do we fight it so hard? I don't know about you, but I love the Lord and am truly thankful that He accepts me as I am and His mercies are new every morning. I don't have to wait for a new year to get things right, I can do it today, and if I mess up, I can make a different choice tomorrow.

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Listen here: https://youtu.be/yuNFAB4mTn8 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.