"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, January 28, 2022

Five Minute Fridays: Trials

The first thing I think of when I hear the word "trial" is the verse that says:

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." James 1:2-3

I'm not sure about you but I don't typically consider it joy when I am in the midst of a trail. I tend to lean heavily on focusing on the problem and how I can fix it.

I enjoy the way the Message version states it:

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors.  James 1:2-4

When we are under trial out "true colors" come out. This reminds me of something I have said over and over to my kids and youth group, "garbage in, garbage out, good stuff in good stuff out." I believe that there is something to be learned in every trail. Whether we learn it at the time or whether we learn it in hindsight. But, before we ever face a trail we need to be mindful of what we are filling our lives with. Because, as the verses so aptly point out, our true colors come out when we are tested. I don't know about you, but when I am under trial I want to represent Christ well and the only way that I can do that is by being mindful of what I am putting into my heart and mind. That means everything, what I am reading, what I am watching, what music I am listening to, what people I follow on social media, etc.

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. Luke 6:45

Five Minute Friday's is hosted by Kate Motaung. She provides a weekly prompt, you set the timer for 5 minutes and write. Once we finish writing we post our thoughts on our blog (or whatever platform we wish), and then link-up with Kate. If you would like to join in or see what other people's thoughts are on today's prompt, click on the icon below.

What do you think of when you heard the word "trial?" I would love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. Great reminder! I too want to represent Christ well - especially when under pressure or going through a trial. "Good stuff in. Good stuff out." That is good even for old folks like me! I don't often read the Message...but isn't that interesting, "consider it a sheer gift..." Wow. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, it might not be appropriate but we refer to the Message version as the sarcastic version of the Bible. Sometimes it makes things clearer and other times it does sound snarky.

      Delete
  2. I don't consider the thought of having to face a trial pure joy either, LOL.
    If you want to know my thoughts, you can check them out at FMF #33.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't imagine anyone does, LOL. However, there is something to be learned and later there are times I can see the why.

      Delete
  3. It's so true that our trials reveal what is really inside us. Filling our lives with what is good can definitely prepare us to face trials well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, yes. We don't always do it right, but I try to give it my best effort.

      Delete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.