"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Monday, January 3, 2022

Focus

Well, here we are at the start of another new year. Everything is the same, yet different. I think instead of the hope and anticipation that most people feel toward a new year, this year was crept into with cautious optimism. Elijah said on Saturday that he didn't understand what the big deal is about a new year. He's like "nothing changes." I tried to explain it to him, but he just didn't get it. Maybe someday he will. One of the things that I stared doing a few years ago was adopting a word for the year. This is something that I pray over and seek God's wisdom on. I felt Him prompting me back in November and let it simmer, but it's not like He is going to change his mind and I am sure it is a great word for this year. 

My word for 2019 was intentional.

My word for 2020 was hope and you can read more about that here.

My word for 2021 was surrender (and I don't know about you but I had to surrender a lot last year) and you can read more about it here.

So, what is my word for 2022? Well, in case you didn't figure it out from the title, it is focus. I think with everything that is going on in the world we get distracted and lose our focus. I think this is exactly what I need for 2022, to have a better focus.

According to the dictionary, focus is "the center of interest or activity; the state or quality of having or producing clear visual definition; become able to see clearly; pay particular attention to; a main purpose or interest; a point of concentration."

Other words often used in place of focus:  

fix, train, aim, direct, core, concentrate, 

unite, converge, attention, target, priority, and spotlight.

My verse for this year is Hebrews 12:2-Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning it's shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The amplified version is very interesting to me:

 
I also like the way the Message version states verses 1-3, it really gives you something to think about:


So, how does this work? What do I do with my word? How do I get my word? For me, setting this word, helps me to know where to keep my focus. When I set my goals for the year, I keep that word in mind.

I pray about my word for the year until I feel like God has pressed it upon me. Once I have my word I write it down in a notebook. Then I look the word up and define it, because I want to be clear on the meaning. Then I look up synonyms for that word and write them too. If I have a particular verse that I feel is "my" verse, I write that with it. I also write the verse or verses out and look at it in other translations to be sure I understand the meaning. Once I have done all this I am ready to do more.

In my morning quiet time, I will spend part of my quiet time each morning looking up the Scriptures with my word in it and will write it out. I use the concordance at the back of my Bible for this. It usually takes a couple of months to get all the words written in the notebook with its variations (like fix). I also make notes of when I see that word in books that I read, on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as well. In 2021 I started saving the posts that talked about surrender so that I could revisit them. I also look for non-fiction books to read on the topic to help cement the point into my head!

What books do you know of that would fit the word focus??

Do you set a focus word? How do you go about getting your word? Do you already have your word? I would love to hear from you. Have a fabulous year my friends. 

4 comments:

  1. I love your word and your process. (My word for 2020 was surrender…it’s a hard word but the growth that comes from it is amazing). My word this year is abide. John 15-abide in Him…remain connected to the vine. Abide in His love. I’m going to try and memorize that chapter. Yikes! Blessings to you as you focus on Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I misread that wrong, I thought your 2022 word was surrender! Abide is a GREAT word, I love John 15. Good luck on memorizing the chapter! I find at my age it is HARD to memorize stuff, but I have managed to do my verses for the year since I write them daily :)

      Delete
  2. As "surrender" is my word for 2022, I appreciated reading that it was yours for last year. 🤗 I think it'll be interesting, to say the least! Love your "focus" word for this year, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.