"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Monday, March 9, 2015

Earth Science

So, today in Science we started a unit on Earth Science. We started by talking about what we know about Earth Science, what we wanted to know and will end the unit with what we have learned. 
When you start a unit on Earth, the first thing you need to do, is examine the layers, or what makes up the earth. 
Who needs a projector when you have a window? If you need a laugh, try to explain to your kids what an overhead projector is! I know mine have seen them, but it has been so long since they have, that they don't remember what they look like.  Anyway, after discussing the layers of Earth, which include the inner and outer core, lower mantle, upper mantle,and the crust, we made a model, painting the layers, which Kayla and Elijah really enjoyed doing.  
This project got me to thinking. If someone peeled off our layers, what would they find at the core? I know a lot of people like to say "what you see is what you get." Just like that's not true with the earth (we can't see all the layers), it's not true with people either. We are many layers. You have the first layer, which you see in the mirror. But, it's different from the image that others see when they look at us. We are so much more critical when we look at our outer layer, than others are (typically!). Then you have the layer that your family sees, which is a very different picture from what your friends and strangers see. How many layers do we have? I don't know, but I hope that if I was to be taken apart, layer by layer, that at my very core, people would find a heart that longs to be like Jesus. I know I am not perfect, I am a sinner, saved by grace. I stumble each and every day, but I would hope that my core would show how much I am trying to do everything right. I would like to say what you see is what you get, but we are so complex, what is at your core? Have you ever thought about it? What are you striving to be?  "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.