"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Dreaming of snails and puppy dog tails

Okay, not really. Or, at least I am not dreaming of snails, that would be pretty disgusting. I am however dreaming of puppy dog tails. You see, the other day I opened my big fat mouth and promised not one, but both of my children puppies when we finally get back to the states or wherever we end up from here and we are settled. Why did I do this??? I have no idea!! I think I was having a total mental lapse. I should have started the conversation like this "I, Cindy, being of UNSOUND mind and body do solemnly swear to break this promise of buying you both expensive, not shedding dogs..." However, that's not what I said and both kids are super excited about these puppies. Elijah found the exact one online that he wanted and Kayla has visions of hers and they have both already named them. I think I should go ahead and be committed now, because the last thing I want is two puppies. 

So, why did I commit to this insane promise? Well, Matt and I were looking at puppies and discussing them and Elijah happened to ask us what we were doing. I tend not to lie to the kids, so I told him exactly what we were thinking about. I never dreamed they would get so excited or committed to it. But, they did. (I think I should have been a salesman, I sold this one pretty good)

I think the reason I have this dream is because what I really long for is to be settled. I think it's what we are all longing for, to be settled, nestled in, snug as a bug in a rug, snuggling with cute little puppies, cleaning up their little doggy do (oops, reality creeping in here). But, seriously, we are so ready to be away from here. I can't say it enough, unfortunately; that it's not been a great experience for us.

However, I do feel like we've turned the corner (again). I no longer feel the need to cry every day. I would say I am completely over my depression, but I'm just not sure I can say that yet. The kids are okay, but I am sure they are not over theirs either.

The biggest reason I want a puppy is because I know it will help Elijah with his anxiety issues. I also know it will help us all with depression issues. Not to say that when we move again we will be depressed, because hopefully we won't be. But, I think if we had had a puppy here, we would have been less depressed or less likely to get depressed. We would to have had to (or would have to) get out more to walk the dog. It would have ensured that we got out more and that we got more exercise. I am not saying that a dog is a cure all. I said after I got that last puppy that I would NEVER do it again. And, less than 2 years later I am thinking about it again. But, I learned a few things from that disastrous experience and plan to do it right the next time. Starting with getting a puppy around summer time so we have time to train it and care for it, without feeling like it is constantly interrupting our school day or feeling like we are getting nothing else done. 

Now, before any well meaning person decides to pawn a dog off on us, please understand that we are not ready for, nor do we want one now. And, we want a specific type of NON-shedding dog. Not asking for much here, am I? Maybe you should start praying for me now, that I find my mental facilities before we reach this point :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.