"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, May 20, 2022

Five Minute Friday- Know

Let's be honest. There are many things that we do not know or understand. There are many things we think we know when the reality is that we often don't (we have made assumptions). However, there are a few things that I do know and can count on. I know that God loves me and wants the best for me. I know that His mercies are new every morning.  When I saw that today's prompt was "know" there were several verses that immediately came to mind.

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 

If we want to know God then we need to quiet our hearts and be still in His presence. We flit from thing to thing but until we know God we will not have peace. 

We often said to our youth group: 

"Know God=Know peace. 

No God≠No peace."

Another verse that came to mind is Jeremiah 29:11. 

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  

This is one of my favorite verses. Why? Because no matter what chaos is going on in my world, my God knows the plans HE has for me. I don't have to know everything that is going on, but I do need to trust the one that does. This verse became my life motto when we were living overseas and we didn't know where our next location would be, or when we would have to move on. There was so much uncertainty and I found this verse so encouraging to know that God had a plan for me. He has one for you as well.

While I was contemplating the verses I was sharing, this song started playing in my head:

I Know Who Holds Tomorrow

I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine,
For its skies may turn to gray.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said,
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

Refrain:
Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know who holds tomorrow,
And I know who holds my hand.

Every step is getting brighter,
As the golden stairs I climb;
Every burden's getting lighter;
Every cloud is silver lined.
There the sun is always shining,
There no tear will dim the eye,
At the ending of the rainbow,
Where the mountains touch the sky. [Refrain]

I don't know about tomorrow,
It may bring me poverty;
But the one who feeds the sparrow,
Is the one who stands by me.
And the path that be my portion,
May be through the flame or flood,
But His presence goes before me,
And I'm covered with His blood. [Refrain]

If you would like to see what our other blogger friends know head over to Kate's blog (our host for 5 minute Fridays) and read their posts. Have a great weekend, friends!

14 comments:

  1. You share wonderful verses that give peace in uncertain times. I find that Bible study provides me with a steady faith. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great and succinct summary, Cindy, "Know God=Know peace. No God≠No peace."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, I love your verses and song! They remind us that knowing God and being known by Him is everything!! Thanks! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this - it quiets my heart to know that we can be still and know that He is God and He knows our tomorrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I do find so much comfort and peace in that!

      Delete
  5. So many great verses here...but I espeically love that song. I Know Who Holds Tomorrow - one that my mom sang often. So many encouraging thoughts and words...all from one word!! Hope you had a good weekend and the one ahead will be blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. The weekend was busier than anticipated but good :)

      Delete
  6. Love this post--and the song.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanking God today for the Scriptures and the old hymns that remind us of who He is.

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.