"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Armageddon Election Day

 H. L. Mencken once said, "There has not been a presidential election since Jackson's day without its Armageddon, its marching of Christian soldiers."

Armageddon is defined as "1.Bible site of the last, decisive battle between the forces of good and evil (Revelation 16 is the only reference to this word), 2. any great, decisive battle."

President Theodore Roosevelt even called his last political fight an Armageddon. Now the word has become trite, suggesting that any battle, literal or figurative, is thought to have great consequences.

I do not know if I would call today's election day an armageddon battle, but it sure seems to be. There have been several articles citing historic numbers of voters. I think it is great that so many people have voted early. What I don't think is great is how people are turning this election into "one" issue voting. There are many issues on the table and we should be looking at all of them, from the president, to the local level, before we vote. 

Before I continue, I want to say that I do not think that any of the candidates are perfect, not as a person, nor for the job (neither am I perfect, nor would I make a good president). Being president is not a job that I would ever want, you could not pay me enough money to even consider the job. It is hard, I don't have to do it to know that it is hard. So, I am annoyed at some of the comments made for this election...for example:

"I am not voting for so-so, because they said this." Well, have you ever said something in the heat of the moment that you immediately regret? I know I have. Have you ever said something that didn't come out how you meant it to be? Again, guilty! Would you want someone to judge whether or not you are good for the job simply based on one comment that you have said? Neither would I! Why do we let that be a deciding factor? Let's give grace and not judge people by one comment they have said that you did not like or agree with, it may not be an exact representation of who they are or even what they stand for.  

My point is that we should not be basing our decisions on things that do not matter. This election matters, who ends up in the White House matters, who ends up in the governors position matters. This election is not about one issue, so stop making it as such and look at the bigger picture. Let's be forward thinking instead of just focusing on the issues that are in front of us in this moment, because three years from now the issues are going to be different, although some will still be the same.

I know that I want the candidates that I voted for to get in office, just as you want the candidates that you vote for in office. At the end of this election, whether my candidates win or lose, God is going to still be in control and He is still on the Throne. To me, that is what matters most. Will I be disappointed if my candidates don't win? Or course I am, but I have a choice on how I handle my reactions. I am going to ask that we consider a few things to help us get through this election:

1. As you wait, don't drive yourself crazy speculating who is going to win or lose. Don't constantly check the headlines for news, you will only drive yourself crazy. This is a process, a waiting game if you will, focus on what is most important, no amount of worry or anxiety is going to change the outcome, it will be what it will be. When you are tempted to worry/stress or find anxiety mounting, cast your cares on the Lord (1 Peter 5:7).

2. Whether your candidate wins or loses/don't gloat or grumble or complain, in 2020 when tensions are running very high, this is not helpful (it never is, but it certainly isn't this year). "Do everything without grumbling or arguing." Philippians 2:14

3. Do not knock down the candidates with memes, nasty posts etc. This has been a hard year for all of us, and a lot of my fellow Christian brothers and sisters have been posting things about our current president that are not very nice (let him without sin throw the first stone John 8:7). This is one of the reasons so many people struggle with "Christians" because we are quick to knock others down and that is not how we are supposed to be. (1 Thessalonians 5:11)

4. Whether your candidate wins/loses, you need to make an effort to respect the person in the position. This is hard for all of us. We do not have to like them, we do not have to agree with them, but we do need to respect and listen to our governing authorities. (Romans 13:1-7 is very clear on this.) I have struggled again, with Christians not being respectful to those who are in authority, deciding instead to do what they want to do. This is not right (you don't have to agree with me), but as long as what my governing authorities are telling me does not go against my Highest Authority (God), then I am going to listen and respect them. 

5. Pray. Regardless of who wins or loses we need to be praying for our governing leaders. Instead of knocking them down, the best thing we can do is pray for them. I have prayed for Trump/Pence that their decisions would be wise, for God to give them wisdom, prayed for their health etc., over the last 4 years. I have not agreed with everything they had said, or everything they have done, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that I have done what I can do to support them, I have prayed for them. I will continue to do this in this election season, I will pray for the winners going forward, for as long as their terms last.

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:23 NIV

The message version puts it this way 3:22-25: "
Servants, do what you’re told by your earthly masters. And don’t just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you’ll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you’re serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn’t cover up bad work."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.