"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, August 7, 2015

Flexible

I am a very strong, type A personality. I am a planner. I do not like making last minute plans, changing plans at the last minute or waiting on someone to make plans at the last minute. Once the plan is made I like to stick to it. I like to know what I am doing when I wake up, as much as I can.

The kids are having fun at camp this week. When I was talking to them earlier this week Elijah said he wished they could always go to camp. I told him they couldn't because we were starting school next week. He asked why they couldn't wait until the other kids went back to school before starting school. So, I gave him the laundry list of reasons why we couldn't wait to start school. He didn't like the answer, but he was respectful and dropped the matter. I thought that was the end of it.

"Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

Thankfully the Lord didn't let me leave it there. On Wednesday I was working in the school room and I felt that nudge in my spirit to let my plans die. Why is it so important for me to have my plans? I really do have a ton of good reasons ;) Why couldn't I compromise? 

The kids are super happy with going to camp. Why can't I let them continue to go? Once camp stops they will be home with me every.single.day. And, because we are in Greece and there are not a lot of families who Homeschool their interactions with other kids will be limited for the next few months. I decided a compromise was in order (of course I couldn't completely change the plan ;) ). I will still start school next week. But, the kids will go to camp the next two weeks on M/W/F and we will do school on T/TH. This gives us a slower start to the school year and an opportunity for them to have more fun before we get totally serious about school. This also gives me some unexpected time to myself. It really is a win-win situation.

There are 365 days in the year and I only need 180 to do school in. Why am I so rigid to the schedule? I have really felt the Lord working on me these past few years in this area (and others, patience!). I am slooooowly learning my lessons and learning to be more flexible.

"Woe to the obstinate children," declares the Lord, "to those who carry out plans that are not mine, forming an alliance, but not by my Spirit, heaping sin upon sin." 
Isaiah 30:1

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others." 
Philippians 2:3-4

What is something you feel like you are working on? What do you need to let go of?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.