"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Back to school Blah.


It is hard taking off the "summer" hat and putting on the "school" hat. We have one foot in summer and one foot in school. The kiddos are in camp three days a week and doing school two days a week for the next two weeks. Originally I thought this was a great idea. The reality, maybe not so much. The verdict is still out I guess.
I did everything that I could do to be sure this day went smoothly. I organized the school room, bought new, interesting curriculum, prayed over the curriculum (before I bought it!), prayed over the school room, prayed over the children, made a great dessert to celebrate the first day of school, talked up the start of the school year, minimized distractions, was excited for school to start, had Matt make the kids a good breakfast so Elijah wouldn't start out grumpy (he seems to have trouble finding something to eat in the mornings and this affects his day). However...the best laid plans of mice and men...Elijah was grumpy anyway...why...because we were doing school!!!! It made for an interesting day, but Thursday we get a do over...and the day after that...and the day after that!
This day was not all smiles and rainbows, no matter what the pictures show!!!!!!



 8th grade, REALLY?????
 Love this man and glad he was here to pray with us and be in on the picture taking!!! I love how silly he is!!!! We are so incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful husband/father!
 Elijah's drawing says "I am a robot."
My baby is in 5th grade! Don't blink, you might miss something!

 Here's the Robot!

 Silly faces, Elijah said Kayla won silliest face, I just looked crazy! Thanks kid! At least he's honest :)


 Genre reveal...what will be the Genre of the first book they read this year??????????


Biography! 

So, we did a fun activity, which they loved (of course they did because they got to talk about themselves :)) ...they had to grab 5 things that identified them, within 2 minutes! Elijah's first picture didn't turn out, it was to dark, but he held up a CD because when he is in his room he is ALWAYS listening to History CD's or music. This picture below is a car...because when he is listening to the CD's he plays with his cars. (he said these things about himself)
 His third item was Hulk because "He has anger issues and so do I, but I am working on it!" (So proud of him for recognizing this!)
 His fourth item was Flash because he loves Superheros and he wants to be fast.
 His fifth item was a book because he loves to read! (He has a Superhero theme going on!)
 Kayla's first item was a photo album because she loves looking through it and remembering memories.
 Her second item was a book because she loves to read and she chose the Frozen book because she loves Frozen!
 Her third item was a piano book because she loves to play the piano.
 Her fourth item was a doll (recognize a theme here?) because she still loves to play with dolls.
 Her fifth item was an Elsa Lego because she loves to play Legos! Her and Elijah make up games with the Legos and it continues day after day...hence the mess in the background of the pictures...it's their play area. They are laughing because the last 4 items ALL had to do with Frozen...I admire her creativity with that!!!
 They yummy dessert I made to celebrate this day! Underneath all that frosting is double chocolate brownies :) We all needed that by lunchtime :)

No matter what went right and what didn't, I am thankful for the opportunity to Homeschool my children. It is a blessing (and some days a curse, I am not going to lie), but it is a gift. A gift of time that I have with these children every single day, did you catch that every.single.day! (Blessing/curse!) If they were in school every day I would have at least 40 less hours a week with them...God has given me these precious children for such a short time, that I am going to soak up every single second. They are growing up SO fast, you know it's true, and I am thankful for this time. I see the good, I see the bad, I see the ugly, but I don't miss anything. I know what they are learning. I know what they like. I get to see them play together. I get to see them grow in their faith. I get to see them conquer their demons. I get to see them overcome their obstacles. And, I am there every single time they need me. It is a GIFT and I thank God for it! In the good, in the bad and in the ugly, I praise His Holy name. To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.