"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Monday, August 17, 2015

Bible Journaling

When Bible Journaling first came across my radar, I was like "Hmm, that's nice." However, it kept popping up. The more I saw posts, the more I decided I had to do it. However, I needed to examine my motives before diving in. I didn't want this to be a passing phase, and one where I have wasted money on a new Bible, when I have been blessed with multiple Bibles. (I have a thing for Bibles and a story to go with it, but that's another day) Did I want to do it because it seemed to be the newest thing? (Kind of) Did I want to do it because everyone else was doing it? (Kind of) Did I want to do it because I thought it was pretty? (Yes) 
At the heart of it, why exactly did I want to start a Bible Journal? I wanted to start doing a Bible Journal because I wanted to learn more about God's word. Period. I have been a note taker in Church for years, and every once in a while I would write thoughts in my Bible. I had started doing online Bible Studies a few months before this and I was learning a lot of new skills, why not try this one as well? It doesn't matter that I can't draw a stick person to save my life. It doesn't matter that I don't have a creative bone in my body (okay, maybe a teeny, tiny one). What matters is that my heart is in the right place. I looked around and really wanted an NIV Bible, but couldn't find one. So, I decided it was a good time to go back to the King James Version. To me it has always been a bit difficult to understand, but I decided that you could learn more by reading other versions of the Bible (which is true, it gives a slightly different perspective or wording). There are still phrases that I don't understand, and when that happens I look up other versions and see how it's worded. Did you know that you could do that at Bible Gateway
Like I mentioned above, I had been doing online Bible Studies, but once I received my Bible that I was going to journal in, I signed up for a few other Bible Study sites. I wanted to see what I could learn from the different studies. I started journaling in May (of this year), today I unsubscribed to one of the emails that I was getting for Bible Study, because I felt I was not getting as much out of that site as I do others. One of my favorite places to do Bible Studies through is Proverbs 31. Each week in their studies they do a "Bible Skills" session. This has been incredible for me, and has taught me so many Bible skills, skills I am surprised I had not learned before!!!
I am not perfect. My entries are not perfect. Some are, in fact, quite child like (doesn't it say, a child will lead them? So why not child-like drawings!). I have misspelled words only to notice it later. I have not shared any entries before this. I feel like what you do is quite personal. But, I want to encourage others. If I can do it, so can you. Again, I can't draw, at all!!! Don't let perfectionism hold you back. I like to think it's more honoring to God, to let go of the mask and show our imperfections. He doesn't demand perfection, He wants our time and attention. When I am writing, drawing or praying in my Bible, I am studying, learning, drawing closer to Him and that is all that matters. Not what my pictures or words look like. 
My first entries into my Bible are right as soon as you open the Bible. The very first entry I did was to dedicate my Bible Journaling experience to God. I used the song "The More I Seek You" by Kari Jobe, because what could be truer? That is the reason why I am doing it, I want to SEEK HIM more! More of Him, less of Me. I did a few other things, including writing a prayer, but as time has passed, I have added more to those two pages. 
Here are a few pictures from some of the pages I have done:



 I like to use stickers...I try to put the main theme (to me!) at the top of the page.






 I wrote a prayer on this one, and then went back and wrote when it was answered.

 This one with the cup is one of my favorites, it's an idea copied from Pinterest, not an original thought, however, this is exactly how I start out each day. I get up, make my coffee and then sit down and spend my time in the Word, as I enjoy my coffee. On the other page, I have written out the 23rd Psalm for the Homeschool Mom (we Homeschool) by Janet Tatman.




 That is my hand on the page in Isaiah, it is one of the promises I hold onto.
 This is another promise...I am ready for a NEW thing!


 Notes from one of the Bible Studies I did in the summer.
 Sometimes songs come to me and I write some of the words on the page.






 I so want to be Zealous for the Lord. I don't care if it makes me a "Jesus Freak." I want to live my life in a way that is pleasing to Him!
Sorry for the images that are turned sideways!!! I should have turned them before I uploaded, but I did mention earlier that I'm not perfect, right? God is good and I am learning so much. My prayer for you is that you would make time, each day, to spend time in His word. Their are seasons that we go through when we have very little time (or make very little time) and God understands that. You will be blessed even if it's a small amount of time. Give Him your first fruits, including your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.