"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Sunday, July 2, 2023

How the business came about

You might have noticed on Facebook that Kayla and I started a home based small business called Stitch in Time.

I often get wild ideas and run with them. Some have good results and others don't. I woke up on Wednesday, June 7th with the idea of starting a sewing business for Kayla. I thought it would give her a more professional umbrella for doing her alterations, and it would give her a place to teach sewing classes. I believe the idea was from God because I don't think I would have thought of it by myself. As a side note, God does have a sense of humor. When I started college I was a business major, and quickly changed it. I was not going to be in business. Fast forward a lot of years later, and here I am. 

Anyway, back to the story. I discussed this with Matt first thing that morning and he agreed to it. I also talked to Kayla that morning and she loved the idea. It was going to be a side business. She was starting her first day at the Chick-fil-A in Brunswick and I had my nanny job. We were going to do a few camps and start having her teach classes that she would be able to continue throughout the school year. I immediately started researching some things. I set up a separate Facebook account, Blogger (website) account, Instagram account, and Twitter. I am not active on Instagram and Twitter yet, but I do plan to be after the initial stuff settles down (I have hope it will). Anyway, Kayla worked her two days that week and decided she could not work in the kitchen. All the beeping and stuff was ramping up her anxiety. She requested to be moved to the front of Chick-fil-A. Elijah thought it was fine because there was another employee working in the front who wanted to be moved to the back.

On Monday, June 12th, Matt and I were talking before he went to work. Kayla had a meeting at Chick-fil-A that morning, and I knew there was a chance she was going to lose her job. She had applied for a specific position and now couldn't work it. We were talking about that and how I couldn't afford to make the sewing business a full-time job. He told me I needed to quit worrying about Kayla, that I needed to make this business about what I wanted. The reality is she would be going back to school and I would be the one running it. (He didn't realize the plan was for her to come back and work Friday and Saturday here) The reality (in my mind) is that this was for Kayla and I couldn't really think beyond that at that point. So, I said to him, "I already have a job, I don't need another one." 

Kayla had her meeting at Chick-fil-A that morning, and they did let her go. They were only hiring front workers who could be there in the fall, and with her schedule, she couldn't. It was hard. She immediately went to a coffee shop to see if they were hiring, and they were not.

At 10am I texted my FIL and said to him, "Kayla lost her job. While I would like to think positive that it gives time to work on the small business. The reality is that she needs to make money now. Please pray that she is able to find something soon, AND I can get everything done for the small business quickly. We need all the prayers."

At 10:01 AM I got this text from my boss:

You all, I seriously laughed out loud!! I was SHOCKED. Kayla walked into my room right after that, took one look at my face and said, "What?" and I said, "I JUST lost my job!" and she said, "That's NOT funny." (she was super upset about losing hers) and I said, "I'm not kidding, read this." She did and looked at me, and I laughed again. I think she thought I was going crazy. I was like, "only God." So, then I told her about my conversation with Matt that morning, and my words about already having a job. Have I mentioned God has a sense of humor?

That was a really intense, emotionally charged week. I worked my normal schedule, knowing that Friday was going to be my last day. It broke my heart. I love those babies, I love their parents, but there was/is no way I would attempt to stand in the way of the grandparents watching the kiddos. It was also difficult because I was spending every moment trying to get everything set up to run the business, plus advertise for camps, plan for camps etc. It is still very difficult. Not a day goes by that I wonder what I am doing or if I am doing the right thing. On June 14th we officially got our LLC license and on the 16th I set up our business banking account. 

The week of the 19th we started offering our first camps. We had one camper that week, and I will take it. We are new to the area, we are new to business, and we are completely unknown. It will take a while for people to get to know us and trust us. Plus, it will take a while for word to get out. I have been researching groups to be able to post too, but also keeping up with all the things. I am SO thankful I wasn't aware of ALL the things it takes to get a small business up and running because I wouldn't have done. I am literally learning new things every day. (Today I learned I can not use licensed fabric in items we plan to sell.) I could not be more thankful for that information, but the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.

This week, so far, we have two campers tomorrow. We have two people signed up for classes, one that starts July 14th, and one that starts August 18. Kayla will teach both these classes this semester and will make some money off of that. We currently have 55 likes to our page and 71 followers. While that might not seem like a lot, I am THRILLED with it because it means word is getting out there about us. I continue to hope that people will share the page to hopefully get new eyes on us.

This week I hope to make some flyers to post in the library (if they will let me), and other places that kids go during the summer. I have a business counseling meeting on Wednesday, so hopefully it will help keep me going in the right direction with the proper paperwork. 

Today, in Church, I realized Matt is right. I need to decide what I want from the business, and how invested I want to be. I wouldn't mind teaching some kids classes, and I would love to teach a quilting class (but doubt my skills in that area!!) and I would love to start a beginning crochet class (but doubt my skills there too, but I also need to see if there is a curriculum I could find). Regardless, I have realized this is for me too. Now I need to decide what I AM going to do (other than all the paperwork, legal stuff, etc). I should get to have some fun too 😂. I am excited and terrified for this venture. I covet your prayers for wisdom and guidance, for the Lord's leading and direction, and for me not to lean on my own understanding. I also would appreciate prayers for the financial side as well. Not necessarily for the funds to come in (although that would be nice), but for me to manage how I pay me, Kayla, and what to keep in the business, wisely. My pay will be paying back what we have already invested, but I also know I need to keep money in the business account for future costs. I really appreciate all who have liked/shared the page, or have just encouraged us in any way. We really appreciate it. Not everyone has been encouraging, and I am not always encouraging to myself, so again, we would really just appreciate all the prayers. And, if you have made it this far, thanks for reading 😂 I appreciate you too!!

P.S. Head to our FACEBOOK page and our WEBSITE to see what all we have going on 😊. I forgot to mention in the above story timeline that the same weekend I set up the Facebook page, I reached out to a graphic designer and had her do our web design. I also forgot to mention Kayla came up with the name and the Logo design, and colors. Amanda, the designer, enhanced Kayla's original design, which is now pictured below. I LOVE what they came up. The first photo is us trying to come up with names. The second is zoomed out on all the design's Kayla drew, and the third is the Logo we gave Amanda to work with.


P. S. S. I also forgot to say, eventually we would love to sell homemade items, but for now I have chosen to focus on this side of things. Can't do it all at one time, and I would rather it all be done right, rather than rushed (although, who am I kidding? It has been rushed).

To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Philippians 4:20

 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

4 comments:

  1. Where's your Facebook and website?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, thanks Lisa, for pointing out that I had not linked them!! I missed that. https://stitchintime23.blogspot.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/stitchintime23

      Delete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.