"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Saturday, August 26, 2023

Health Updates

For those who have known me awhile, you know I struggle with my health. I have food allergies that seem to multiply by the day, allergy issues, sleep issues, high blood pressure, a weak immune system and the list goes on. I don't have an autoimmune disease or anything like that.

About 6ish years ago I started the Paleo diet and and while it seemed to help with identifying some of the foods that I could no longer tolerate, as time went on, it seemed like I kept missing stuff. So, if I was going to feel bad anyway, then I was going to eat somewhat bad. Then last year hit, our stress tripled and I added back in daily bagels and a couple a times a week sugar...which neither one is good for me. Plus, I gained back all the weight I had lost with the stress eating. A few weeks ago I decided I had enough and started exercising again, I work with a personal trainer on Fridays, and I was going to start eating better again.

At my book club meeting last week, me and another lady were talking about all the things we could not eat, which were basically the same, and she said, "I bet you have a histamine intolerance." A do what? I had never heard of it. So, I took note of it and we went about our meeting. The next morning I researched it and that is EXACTLY what I have. Which also explains why certain foods were still not agreeing with me. I was eating foods high in histamine.

Histamine intolerance is the body's inability to properly break down histamine, a naturally occurring compound involved in various physiological processes. Histamine is released by the body's immune cells in response to allergens, injury, or infection, and it plays a crucial role in regulating various bodily functions, including digestion, immune responses, and the nervous system.

Some common symptoms of histamine intolerance include (the ones with the strike through are the only symptoms I haven't had):
  1. Digestive Symptoms:

    • Abdominal pain
    • Bloating and gas
    • Diarrhea or constipation
    • Nausea and vomiting
    • Heartburn or acid reflux
  2. Skin Reactions:

    • Itchy skin
    • Hives (urticaria)
    • Eczema or other rashes
    • Flushing or redness
  3. Respiratory Symptoms:

    • Runny or congested nose
    • Sneezing
    • Coughing
    • Shortness of breath
    • Wheezing
  4. Headache and Migraine:

    • Headaches, often resembling migraines
    • Migraine-like symptoms triggered by certain foods
  5. Cardiovascular Symptoms:

    • Rapid or irregular heartbeat (heart palpitations)
    • Low blood pressure
    • Dizziness or lightheadedness
  6. Neurological Symptoms:

    • Anxiety or nervousness
    • Difficulty concentrating or brain fog
    • Fatigue
    • Sleep disturbances
  7. Musculoskeletal Symptoms:

    • Muscle pain or cramps
    • Joint pain
  8. Other Miscellaneous Symptoms:

    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Flushing or feeling warm

In order to manage this, I once again have to go on an elimination diet and figure out my triggers. There are apps and things that will tell you which foods to avoid (basically anything processed and with a lot of ingredients). But, strawberries, pineapples, and avocado are high histamine, and I didn't realize it. So, those could be some of the things that keep my histamine high.

I hope you took a moment to read what I came across as non-trigger warnings. I laugh because otherwise I will cry. It is overwhelming at times. It is a lot of information and I have done a ton of research over the last week. I have given up almost everything I am supposed to for the elimination diet, except my coffee and gluten free granola I make out of gluten free oats. I don't want to give up the coffee (but I guess I will, LOL!), and I literally have no idea what else to eat for breakfast. I can't do meat that early, I can't do eggs, nuts, dairy, soy etc...and while I can do most fruits, they are not very filling. 

Anyway, I am thankful to know what is going on with my body and I would appreciate prayers as I try to figure out all my triggers and get back to a healthier me. I know the end result will be worth it, it's just this initial start that is hard. And, if you are still reading, you are a rock star!!! Thank you so much for taking a few minutes to read this. I will be posting my monthly update soon!

And, if you are someone who struggles constantly with food or allergy triggers, I recommend looking into this. I can tell you a few helpful resources, including Dr. Ben Lynch's book, Dirty Genes.

2 comments:

  1. All the best to you as you start this journey again - discovering, avoiding and eliminating your triggers. What a blessing to have this lady sit next to you at book club! Praying you start feeling better almost immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! You know the health struggles are always a journey!

      Delete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.