"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Thrive

On Christmas Eve, I was seeking and praying over what my word for 2023 would be. I felt aimless (ironic since my word for 2022 was focus) and had no clue what my word would be. I was praying for God to reveal it to me. I looked back over my words for the last 4 years and still had no clue.
I started reading blog posts for the monthly link-up I participate in, share four somethings. When I got to the last one I was reading Bethany's words and agreeing with what she was saying. When I read "Because that’s usually how it is, at least at our family, and I might as well learn to thrive through it." I got a jolt when I read the word thrive. I KNEW that was it; that was my word for 2023.

My word for 2019 was intentional.

My word for 2020 was hope and you can read about it here.

My word for 2021 was surrender.  You can read more about it here if interested.

My word for 2022 was focus. You can read about it here.

I don't know about you, but over the last few years, I have felt like I am merely surviving. I am tired of it. I don't want to survive, I want to THRIVE.

Thrive is defined as 1) to grow vigorously, flourish. 2) To be successful or make steady progress; prosper. 3) To prosper by industry, economy, and good management of property; to increase in goods and estate.

You all, I want to flourish and thrive. I want to make steady progress with my goals! I want to live my best life, not just feel like I am surviving whatever is being thrown at me.

Synonyms that I will be using in my Bible Study this year:

Flourish/Flourishing    Produce     Root/roots/rooted    Sprout    Seed    Prosper    Fruit/fruitful

In my morning quiet time, I will spend part of my quiet time each morning looking up the Scriptures with my word in it and will write it out. I use the concordance at the back of my Bible for this. It usually takes a couple of months to get all the words written in the notebook with their variations. I also make notes of when I see that word in books that I read, on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as well.  I also look for non-fiction books to read on the topic to help cement the point in my head!

"Anytime we set a goal, we need to remember who satisfies. Not what satisfies. Who satisfies. Jesus Christ satisfies the longing soul."-Cambria Joy in Growing Strong

The goals I have set for this year (not resolutions) reflect my desire to thrive in every aspect of my life.

I want to thrive in my personal relationship with Christ. 

I want to thrive in my finances.

I want to thrive in my marriage.

I want to thrive in my parenting skills.

I want to thrive in my health.

No more merely surviving let us thrive together!!!

Some of the books I plan to read this year:

I cannot even begin to express how THRILLED I was when I came across the Thrive NLT Bible! I had to have it and am enjoying reading it. The daily devotionals are fabulous! The prayers have been what was needed when needed, God is so good!

I came across an article titled "Are you thriving or surviving," which had some interesting content. They shared an acronym for Thrive with Bible verses:

T-Trust (in the Lord)

H-Honesty

R-Renewal

I-Invest (in relationships with others)

V-Victorious Living

In my opinion, they forgot E-Eternity-If we forget why we are doing the things we do and lose sight of the eternal significance of what we are doing, then what is the point? 

I have two verses for this year:

Proverbs 16:20 NLT-Those who listen to instruction will prosper; those who trust in the Lord will be joyful. (it doesn't necessarily mean now, and be careful of those who tell you it does!!, but in light of eternity, the significance is huge).

Isaiah 40:31 NIV- But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. -One of my favorite verses. Yes, we get weary, and yes we run low on strength, but again, in light of eternity? Thank you, Lord, for your promises! 

I have heard people say they don't pick verses, they read the Bible. I read the Bible too, every day. I also read nonfiction because sometimes it gives me a greater understanding of what I am reading in the Bible. Whether you choose a word a year, or not, a verse a year or not, I hope that you will learn to Thrive in whatever season and circumstances you are facing. It is not enough to merely survive; we all need to thrive.

As I have working this post in my mind over the last few days, this song came on, and it's a great way to end here:

Fill My Cup by Andrew Lipp        Listen HERE.

Been walking to a city I cannot see
Through the depths of the valley where the sun can't reach
I've been high, I've been low
I've been looking for the river that could fill my soul
Been walking to a city I cannot see

Fill my cup, Lord
Run it over
Give me love, give me joy, give me peace
Fill my cup, Lord
Run it over
I am your child in need
Lord, I need you to fill my cup

Fill my cup
Fill my cup
Fill my cup
Fill my cup

Been walking over lies standin' in my way
They can say what they want, I don't want what they say
I was born far from home
But I've been thriving in the wonder of the great unknown
'Cause I'm drinking from a well from another place

Fill my cup, Lord
Run it over
Give me love, give me joy, give me peace
Fill my cup, Lord
Run it over
I am your child in need
Lord, I need you to fill my cup

Fill my cup
Fill my cup
Fill my cup
Fill my cup

Fill my house up with hoping
Fill my plans up with purpose
Fill my wounds up with healing
Lord, I need you to fill my cup
Fill my days up with meaning
Fill my future with vision
Goodness, grace and provision
Lord, I need you to fill my cup


And when I get to that city I cannot see
I'll know that even this valley was a golden street

Fill my cup, Lord
Run it over
Give me love, give me joy, give me peace
Fill my cup, Lord
Run it over
I am your child in need
Lord, I need you to fill my cup

Fill my house up with hoping (Fill my cup)
Fill my plans up with purpose (Fill my cup)
Fill my wounds up with healing (Fill my cup)
Lord, I need you to fill my cup
Fill my days up with meaning (Fill my cup)
Fill my future with vision (Fill my cup)
Goodness, grace and provision (Fill my cup)
Lord, I need you to fill my cup 

6 comments:

  1. That’s a great word! Thanks for sharing your process. I wasn’t going to pick a word this year, but I believe mine is dwell. Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, Dwell is a wonderful word!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I hope 2023 is the best year for you and your family, Cindy. I hope your word for the year brings all the good things and you enjoy a year of growing, thriving and flourishing in this New Year. :) Happy 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Fill My Cup, Lord" (the OLD version) was one of Grandma Laddonia D's favorite songs to sing as a solo for church. "Come and quench this thirsting of my soul." I think she would probably have been a "blogger" if she had been of a different generation. She would have loved yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice-I would have loved to have heard her sing.

      Delete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.