"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, January 13, 2023

Hard Things

This week I had to do a hard thing. Okay, we have to do hard things all the time. But, this was one I definitely did not want to do.

I had to talk to one of my kids about the sin I was seeing in their life. No one wants to point out someone else's sin. However, I KNEW I had to do it. I felt bad, but I did it anyway. It doesn't matter which kid, or what the sin was, the point is, it was hard. I told the kid I have noticed this in your life. I got an immediate denial (isn't that the way we work, we immediately want to deny it, I know I am guilty). Now, sometimes I will let it go once I have pointed it out. But, I felt the Lord nudging me not to let this go, to make my point, and not let them get away with the denial. I laid out my case, my voice quivering with emotion. The child looking at me in stony silence. I kept talking, they kept looking. Finally I said, "I only point this out because I want the best for you." And, it's true. Sometimes we are SO wrapped up in our lives we don't see what is right in front of us. I don't know what this child will do with the information given. I would like to think they would contemplate it and do something about it. I hope the Lord will continue to bring the conversation to mind and the child will dwell on it and change some things. After a while, when we had moved on in our conversation, the child said to me, "You're right, this is a problem." So, there's that. This conversation got me to thinking. I know I sin. I also know that I am too close to it to always realize it or acknowledge it. I wish I had someone who was willing to point it out in my life. Not because I want it to be flaunted in my face, but because I do not want there to be anything between me and God. (and I know me well enough to know I will immediately deny it, but mull over it later to see if there is any truth to it, and pray about it asking God to reveal the truth to me) I want to be the women He has created me to be. But, if I am harboring sin, then there is a divide between us.  One of the reasons I had this conversation with my kid is because I know that God will bring good out of it. I hold on to His promises that He is working out all things for the good of those who love Him. I know my child loves Him, and I love Him, so I know this promise is true. I want to encourage you to have those hard conversations with those you love. They are not easy. They will not always be received well (most likely won't be). But, when God prompts you to do those hard things, do them. It is so important to obey, and hold on to His promise that He will work it out for good. It doesn't mean that we will necessarily see the good this side of heaven, but trust it will eventually be for good.

4 comments:

  1. Good job, Mom. While I am further down the road with parenting than you are, there are still times that call for hard conversation. Things to say and/or advice to be given. When I look back, I am grateful for those who were willing to say the hard things to me and, if I'm honest, wish there would have more of those conversations - back in foolish and hard-headed days. They may have made huge differences.....and avoided regrets. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I agree! Parenting adults is different than kids and it's harder to know what to say/when to say (although, maybe it shouldn't be?!). Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Oh those hard conversations are so, well, hard. Unsettling and difficult, especially when the other person is not ready to hear. Bravo to you for doing what God was calling you to do. May peace in your obedience be your reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda! I appreciate the encouragement!

      Delete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.