"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Share Four Somethings January 2023

Here we are at the end of another month. I don't know why it continues to surprise me how fast time seems to move. The busier we are the faster time seems to go and it was a busy month. It's a new year and we have a new host for our Share Four Somethings. I am excited to continue to share what's going on with my family in this way and will be linking up with Jennifer. I will be sharing things I've loved, learned, read, and ate!

Something Loved

 I loved having Kayla home for the holidays. We also loved getting to spend some time getting to know her boyfriend Bryson. I am loving my new job! Spoiler alert: it is not ANY of the jobs I had been pursuing last month! I did find a nanny position but not with the families that I was talking with when we moved here. I am a nanny for a sweet two year old boy and a 6 week baby girl. The parents are precious, the kids are adorable, and it is a great working environment. I started out working 12 hours a week, worked a little over 15 this past week, and it will increase some more over the next few weeks. The family enjoys having me come and I enjoy going! Both parents mostly work from home so they are able to put the 2-year old down for his nap, and they take the baby at times as well, which is great for them to be able to see their kiddos and interact with them during their work day! I am loving seeing snow (don't hate me!) and I LOVE seeing how God provides for nature during winter (all the snow/deer pics below are from my backyard). I am loving that Elijah is enjoying his job and doing well with it! He got another promotion and pay raise this month. I am also loving our library system! It is AMAZING!

Something Learned

I learned what my happiness style is (there are five happiness styles). I had a pretty good idea before I read The Happiness Dare: Pursuing Your Heart's Deepest, Holiest, and Most Vulnerable Desire, but this book confirmed it. I am a giver quickly followed by a doer. If you want to learn your happiness style you can take the  Happiness Assessment. I loved this book and it is one of my favorites from January. One of my biggest takeaways was this: "Happiness doesn't deny our pain. It holds it gently. Happiness doesn't ignore the hurt of the world, but it makes a space to sit quietly inside of the ache." This book had so much wisdom! It is one I would love to own (I borrowed it from the library) just so I could highlight all the things! If you want to see my full review just click on the book and it will take you to it.

Something Read

So, was it cheating that I included a book before this section?! If so, sorry, not sorry 😂 I am constantly reading both fiction and nonfiction, so I learn a lot from the books I read. I have already read so many great books this month! I will share my favorite fiction and nonfiction book from the month, but feel free to pop over to my book blog anytime you want to see what I am reading or looking for recommendations for clean reads. I will be putting up a post in a few days wrapping up my month of reading for January.

You can click on the cover of the books if you want my full review. Becca Kinzer is a debut author and I decided to read her book based solely on the cover. I am so glad I did because I thoroughly enjoyed it! No More Faking Fine is a book I picked up at a used bookstore because so often we do fake fine. It's been sitting on my shelf for quite a while and I was determined to get to it. I loved the book. Esther writes in a conversational style and her story is heart breaking. I learned so much about lament by reading her book. I know I tend to forget that lamenting is prayer, and that it is okay to lament. If you have forgotten as well, I highly recommend the book.

Something I Ate

I think this is going to be a hard category for me. I basically eat the same things all the time. I did happen to think recently "I never take pictures of what I make anymore." So, I do actually have a picture of something I made last week that was super yummy.

This is bacon wrapped chicken. It is super easy to make and I tweaked the recipe this time. I put it in our little Ninja grill instead of baking it in the oven and it was SO good and much better than putting it in the oven! Then I cut mine up and threw it in a bowl with my green beans (bacon & green beans, yum!).

I hope you've enjoyed this glimpse of what has been going on with us over the past month or so. I would love to hear what you have loved, learned, read, and something interesting you have eaten this past month!

"To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Philippians 4:20
 
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17
 
To see what other bloggers are sharing this month head over to  Jennifer's blog.

10 comments:

  1. So many things you've loved this month! That's great! And congratulations on the new job. You knew that God would have just the perfect one for you! I'm not quite sure I would be "up" for being a nanny at this stage of my life (ie, I'm old) but how blessed working parents are when they can find a great nanny! I hope you continue to enjoy going to work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, LOL, I feel old too! But, I have ALWAYS loved babies and kiddos and it is something I enjoy doing. It is only part-time which is good as well, I don't think I am up for a full-time job. We've had hard times this month as well, but I choose to focus on the positives :)

      Delete
  2. The snow is beautiful! Congratulations on the new nanny position, it sounds like a win-win for you and the family you are serving. I'm intrigued by the Happiness Dare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thanks, I think the snow is beautiful too! It is a win-win for both me and the family, I am so thankful! I highly recommend The Happiness Dare, I learned so much from it!!

      Delete
  3. What a great month. I'm in Western Pennsylvania and I love to see snow too 😉. So happy to hear you got to visit with Kayla and get to know her boyfriend.
    Visiting today from Share Four Something's #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. Have you all had much snow this year?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Pooja, I agree, It's beautiful! Or, it was, LOL, it's basically gone now.

      Delete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.