"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Thursday, June 9, 2022

When you're at the end of your rope...

We all go through those seasons where it seems like we are being bombarded on all sides. As soon as one thing settles, another hits. Before we know it we are spiraling down into depression and/or anxiety. I certainly don't have the answers, but hopefully, I can offer you a little bit of hope.

Today, I found myself listening to a song over and over again. I will highlight the lines that were really resonating with me, and hopefully will resonate with you as well.

I Will Carry You by Ellie Holcomb (written with Benjamin Glover)
(you can listen here)

I know you're tired, I see it in your eyes
All that anxiety that rules your mind
I'll be your shield when you don't feel like

You've got strength enough to fight
I'll stand by your side

I will carry you
Through your darkest night
When you're terrified
I will carry you
When the waters rise
When your hope runs dry
I will carry you


You are not the sum of your mistakes
You don't have to hide the parts of you that ache
I choose you as you are a million times

'Cause I am not ashamed of you
I won't walk away from you

I will carry you
Through your darkest night
When you're terrified
I will carry you
When the waters rise
When your hope runs dry
I will carry you


Up and over the mountains
Valley deep as the ocean
When you can't keep going
I will shoulder your burdens
Up and over the mountains
Valley deep as the ocean
When you can't keep going
I will shoulder your burdens

I will carry you
Through your darkest night
When you're terrified
I will carry you (carry you)
When the waters rise
When your hope runs dry
I will carry you

I will carry you, carry you
Through the darkest night (you)
When you're terrified
(I will shoulder your burdens)
I will carry you, carry you
When the waters rise (you)
I will carry you

What I love most about songs like this, and why I think they resonate so much with me, is that they are saturated with truth! I have One who will shoulder my burdens, take my anxiety, carry me when I am terrified, tired, and when my hope has run out. 

Lord, I pray that you will carry me until I am able to find my footing again. I pray that you would be with those who think they are the sum of their mistakes and who think they have to hide their aches. Lord, you are there for us and will carry us. Lord, help us to hand over the things that are keeping us bound up in anxiety and fear, and let You carry us. In Jesus' name, Amen.

"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Isaiah 46:4 

8 comments:

  1. You are not the sum of your mistakes...and you don't have to hide the part that aches. I love this! I do not think I have heard this song...but thanks for sharing. I love the music/songs can so beautifully say what is on our hearts...and, at the same time, minister to our hearts. I so admire songwriters with that special talent. Thanks, again, for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome!! I love the way songs speak to us!

      Delete
  2. BTW - have you heard anything more about your job interview??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thanks for asking, unfortunately I didn't get the job. I am sure God has something else in mind for me.

      Delete
  3. 'I will carry you' is all I need to hear. Thank You, Lord ...

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.