"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, November 26, 2021

It's tradition...and I'm traditional

I don't know if your kids ever watched Phineas and Ferb (or if you ever watched it), but my kids loved it. I have explained to people several times why we put up our Thanksgiving decorations on
Thanksgiving day and I get blank stares. As I was thinking of putting them up the phrase "it's tradition and I'm traditional" was marching through my head. Dr. Doofenshmirtz (the bad guy in Phineas and Ferb) sings that line in their version of the Twelve Days of Christmas.

So, when our kids were first born we traveled for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and a few other times throughout the year to see my family in TN and IN. Once we moved overseas we had to figure out what traditions we wanted our kids to have for the holidays. I was scared that we would not have any traditions to pass down and that bothered me. So, we decided that the kids and I would decorate for Christmas while Matt cooked the meal. I always do some helping/cooking. He loves cooking when he has time and I don't mind letting him 😂 

It is always so much fun to get out the ornaments and reminiscence about how small they were, or how excited they were over a particular TV show, or just see if the ornaments still smell (we have Strawberry Shortcake and Blueberry Shortcake and they both STILL smell like strawberries and blueberries). It's amazing because we have had them for so many years.

Over the years we have added family pajamas and still travel around the holidays, but try to be home for the main day to keep up our traditions.

We also give the kids a new ornament every year to represent something big or their interests for that year. Last year that got a COVID ornament, which was fitting for the year. The main thing that has happened for them this year is that they both got their first job, so that's what I chose to represent this year.

We also hosted Thanksgiving dinner with Matt's entire family. It's been a while since we all were able to be together and it was nice seeing each other and catching up. We were completely wiped out by bedtime though 😂 It was a long, busy, GOOD day for this family of introverts.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. 1 Chronicles 16:34


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.