"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Part 2 of First Impressions

     When I left you we had just gotten to Café Verde (Still not sure if it was Café) and our first impressions of Greece. This restaurant had a lot of outdoor seating and some indoor seating. We walked all around outside looking for six seats (us and our neighborhood sponsors, Eric and Susan). It felt like everyone was staring at us. I may have been a little paranoid and possibly self-conscious. I figured I was under dressed. Susan was in a black skirt and a nice shirt. I was in jeans and a plain t-shirt. The next morning, I asked Matt if he felt like everyone was staring at us (he is almost NEVER self-conscious) and he said "Yeah, but I just figured it was because I was wearing a baseball cap and no one else was wearing any kind of hat." So, we were being stared at, Matt thought it was him, I thought it was me, but looking back the next morning I realized what it was...and I will tell you later, but they were definitely staring at us.
     Anyway, we found a seat inside, where there were a bunch of no-smoking signs. Susan said it was funny that the signs were even there, that Greeks smoked everywhere. It was only a few minutes later that we realized she was right.
     We sat for a while and then the waitress came up and gave us all glasses of water. Susan asked for menus and a while later they brought one menu. Susan told us that some places have menus in English, but this wasn't one of them. Her and her husband looked at the menu and decided what they wanted, they helped us figure out what was most likely a cheese pizza and then gave the menu to Matt. He looked at it and was like I can't read any of this, but I can read club sandwich, so I'll have that. Then they passed the menu to me. I agreed with Matt, we couldn't read anything because we don't know Greek. I didn't feel like trying to figure anything else out and we were pretty wiped out by this point, so I also ordered a club sandwich.
     A while later the waitress brought place mats, silverware out and placed our bill on the table. It was very weird to me because we didn't have our food yet! I asked Susan if it was typical and she said it was. If you order dessert they will bring you another bill, with only the dessert on it and you will have to figure out the total yourself.
     After a while our food came, the kids pizza had tomatoes on it, so we picked them off and the kids ate. I took the cheese off of my sandwich and it was pretty good.
     The waitress never refilled our water glasses or came around very much. Susan and Eric flagged her down when we were ready to pay. They picked up the tab which was very sweet of them.
     After that, we pretty much came home and crashed. I think we made it to about 7:30.
      It wasn't until I was laying in bed Sunday morning thinking over the previous evening that I realized why (or maybe part of the reason why) people were staring at us. There were NO kids at this particular restaurant, at all. It was only adults. So, I don't know if were in a more upscale place that caters mostly to adults or what. But, our kids were the only kids there that night. After talking to a new friend this afternoon, she said it was unusual for there not to be kids. That she sees kids everywhere. It's very common for the kids to be out super late here, it's just part of there culture. So, when we are not so jetlagged, we might try that restaurant again to see if there are any kids the next time, or just ask Susan about it.
     So, between the last post and this one I took a few pictures.
These two pictures are of mine and Matt's bathroom. I was trying to get the angle right so I wouldn't be in the mirror.

 


 
The next pictures are of the kitchen, it shows our counter and cabinet space.


 
For friends from Singapore, does this look familiar?
 
And then I took pictures of our entryway. We have two doors when you get to our landing. The one with the floor mat in front of it is the front door, and the other opens into the kitchen. You can not get in the doors without the keys, there is no door knob on this side. You also need the keys on the inside to unlock the door.


 
Now for some pictures of the elevator. The first picture is the elevator with the door closed. If you notice the little window thing, when it is dark the elevator is not here and you can't open the door.
Once you call the elevator and it gets to your floor you can open it and this is what the inside looks like.

You have to close both doors and then press the button for the floor that you want, otherwise it won't move. The bottom picture is me inside the elevator looking out.

Finally, I took a picture of our entry way, simply because I had not done it yet. The first picture shows the entry way facing the sitting area that is between the dining room and living room. The open doorway is leading into the kitchen.
The last picture shows the entry way from the sitting area. Pardon our junk, we are not quite organized yet. The door to the apartment is to the left of the shoes and to the right of the shoes is the hallway leading down to the bedrooms and bathrooms.

So, welcome home and when are you coming to visit?? ;)
 

 


1 comment:

  1. Get the lay of the land down and tell me when is the best time of the year. Tommy and I would love to come!

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.