"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Thursday, June 24, 2021

I Am-Identity

I AM

Cindy

Wife

Mom

Sister

Daughter

Aunt

Cousin

Daughter-in-law

Sister-in-law

Friend

Compassionate

Teacher

Reader

Determined

Leader

Blogger

Reviewer

Selfish 

Kind

Booknerd

Chosen

Redeemed

Caring

Blessed

Loved

Lover

Loving 

Thankful

Stubborn

Adopted (by God) 

Marked

Sinner

 Predestined

Forgiven

Saved

The most important?

Child of God 

This post was inspired by the scene in the Exodus where Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?" Exodus 3:13


It is important that we know our identity. To be truthful in all aspects of our identity (any names I need to add to my list?) Not just who we are, but Whose we are. There was even some confusion as to who Jesus was. In the gospels there is all kinds of speculation as to who Jesus is. He is talking to His disciples and He asks,  

“Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”   

“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

Matthew 16:13-16.

Here is the quick point I am going to make. People were confused about who Jesus was and they had names they called Him, names that were not true. Those closest to Jesus knew Who He was, as much as they could understand it. Those closest to us know who we are and have names they call us (Cindy, mom, dear etc). Those who do not know us can call us other names, and boy have I been called names! BUT, I know who I am in Christ, so when those names are tossed my way, I need to align those names with Truth. Are those names true? If not, then I need to focus on what is true, and not the lies that the enemy wants to throw at me.

The same is true for you. You are called names too. Some are true, some are not. Do you know who you are? Do you know Whose you are? If not, can I encourage you to figure it out? Name calling can be mean and hateful, but knowing who you are helps when the enemy tries to throw those lies at you and get you down. Don't let him win! Side with the one that calls you blessed, redeemed, saved, chosen, called by name (Ephesians 1:3-14), so that you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.

2 comments:

  1. Praise God that as we find our identity in Him, we can flourish in all those other areas of life!

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.