"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Friday, March 23, 2018

Your City

"Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper." Jeremiah 29:7 NIV

It's funny how you can read something several times and not really notice what it says. I recently read through the book of Jeremiah and this verse did not pop out at me. However, this morning I read the verse in a short devotional and I wondered if that was really what the verse actually said, or if someone had paraphrased it in their own words. I flipped my Bible over to that verse and that is actually what it says (feel free to look for yourself 😊). So often we think that the Bible does not apply to us, or that it is no longer relative to the times that we live in. Especially the stuff in the Old Testament. We live in times of extreme chaos and uncertainty, just as they did in Bible times, and I long for peace. 

There are several things that this verse gives us that are relative for today.

First, we are to seek peace (and prosperity) in the city to which we live. To seek means "to go in search of, to look for, to try to discover." It is an action verb, it is not passive, we are to actively go and search for peace. The New Living Translation says "And work for the peace..." I like looking at different versions of the same verse because it typically helps us to understand the meaning a little bit better. How do we actively seek or search for peace? Just like the New Living Translation says, we work for it. The Bible tells us, "If it is possible, as long as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18 NIV "Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels." 2 Timothy 2:23

How do I promote peace in my community? I do not cause stupid arguments or quarrels. I try to mind my own business and not put my nose where it does not belong. I try to be kind to everyone I encounter so as to not give someone a reason to get upset with me. I try not to gossip (although at times I fail). I do not lie or spread ugly untruths. I try to teach my kids to be respectful of others, it does not matter skin color, we are all the same and Jesus expects us to treat everyone with kindness and compassion. I am not perfect, but I am saved by grace and make it my aim to live my life in a manner that is pleasing to Christ (at times I fail, but I repent and turn back to God when I do).

Second, we are to pray to the Lord for it. Again, prayer is not passive, it is also action, we are to DO something. To pray means to "to ask for; to beseech; implore; to make a request; to address God with adoration, confession, supplication,or thanksgiving."  A lot of people think that saying you will pray about something doesn't mean anything, they want you to DO something. Praying is doing something, it is asking the Creator of this world for something, imploring Him for something, either on your behalf or the behalf of another. God hears our prayers and He answers them. Sometimes it is "wait." Sometimes it is "no." And, other times He will say "yes." But, He  may also give us something to do to go along with that yes. He may give you an answer to the problem and then you go and do what He has asked you to do, if that makes sense.

 I live in Monroe, this is the city that God has called my family to. I need to actively be praying for my city. I also need to be praying for our schools, especially the ones in my city. I pretty much live in a bubble, but even in my bubble I hear about all the school shootings and they crush my spirit. Our kids have enough to deal with in schools today without having to worry about a shooter coming into their schools. Yet, each time I meet with our youth group school shootings always come up. I pray for our kids and pray that God will put a hedge of protection around them and their classmates. I also pray that those in authority do things and make decisions that will make it harder for shooters to get on campus.
 
Why are we to do these things, "because if it prospers, you too will prosper." We should want great things, not just for ourselves, but our cities and those around us as well. God has placed each of us in a community and we are to help that community prosper. I remember when we lived in Singapore, we were visiting churches and in one church we heard the song, "God of this City." I had never heard it before, but it really resonated with me, that God was in that city far away from what we called "home." It doesn't matter where we are in this world, what country or city we live in, God is the God of that city, and there is still work to be done, right where you are at (bloom where you are planted)! How are you attempting to live at peace in your city? Is God growing you where you are at? Do you believe that greater things are still to be done in your city? If not, maybe you need a change of perspective. Figure out what God might be saying to you about the verse above. Take some time to listen to the song below...if nothing else, pray for your city. Pray for the people that you are in community with. Pray that if you are not working at finding peace, that you would find peace.

This verse reminds me of the song "Your the God of this City"
 
Lyrics
You're the god of this city
You're the king of these people
You're the lord of this nation
You are
You're the light in this darkness
You're the hope to the hopeless
You're the peace to the restless
You are
There is no one like our god
There is no one like our god
For greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
You're the god of this city
You're the king of these people
You're the lord of this nation
You are
You're the light in this darkness
You're the hope to the hopeless
You're the peace to the restless
You are
There is no one like our god
There is no one like our god
For greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done here
There is no one like our god
There is no one like you, god
For greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done
We believe, we believe in you, god
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done here
Greater things, still to be done here
Ooh
Songwriters: Aaron Boyd / Andrew Mccann / Ian Jordan / Peter Comfort / Peter Kernaghan / Richard Bleakley
God of This City lyrics © Capitol Christian Music Group

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.