"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Getting back into routines...or trying to!

So, what's going on with us? This past week we started back to school. Kayla started 7th grade and Elijah started 4th grade. Am I really old enough to have kids that old? Nah, I had Kayla when I was still a baby myself ;) LOL.
Our first day back to school I wanted to start out strong. I made homemade chocolate chip muffins for breakfast. However our first day was a bit rough. I won't call out who or what it was, but it wasn't quite the easy, idyllic day I had pictured. So much for high expectations. It started with my insomnia kicking into high gear, Sunday night, not getting much sleep. Then, several issues that cropped up and school taking much longer than I had anticipated. By two o'clock I was ready to cry.
So, taking my burdens to the Lord, laid my expectations day, asked for His, had some ideas pop up on what I could do to resolve some of the issues I had that day, and called it a day.
Day two of school went better and at the end of the school day I had both kids sign a school contract, laying out exactly what I expected of their behaviors and the consequences that would be dealt out if they broke the rules.
We sailed through days three and four, had a few bumps along the way, but I can say we were all ready for Friday. However Friday had it's own issues. I went to bed Thursday night, laid down and immediately got very dizzy. I was praying it would pass quickly and I would be fine on Friday morning. My body had different ideas. I woke up very dizzy on Friday, had difficulty getting out of bed, and it was only sheer determination (you know I'm very stubborn and determined, right?) that I pulled myself out of bed and got moving, trying to pretend I wasn't miserable! I managed to get the kids started on their school, the parts they could do without me. Someone wasn't very happy to have to start without me, but did do it anyway. I checked my BP and it was fine, 128/88 with my pulse at 80 (which resting pulse is a bit high for me, but I wasn't concerned). I got in the shower, trying to determine if I was going to mess up our school day by trying to get a doctor's appointment (I hate anything that disrupts school, I have a hard time letting it go, even if I am not feeling well. I know, I have issues ;)!) Once I got out of the shower I decided with it being Friday, I had better try to get an appointment. I ended up going to the Embassy med unit, Matt came home and got me. When I got there my BP was 193/104...they were a bit concerned. Long story short, we were there 2 1/2 hours, I had an EKG, BP checks every 20 minutes, blood work and lots of talking. I really wasn't feeling great and didn't give a ton of thought to the fact that the kids were sitting in the waiting room the entire time, with very little supervision. I can tell they are growing up, they were very good, played and read, and entertained themselves the whole time. I am very proud of their behavior. Matt did come down and check on them twice. My blood work came better normal, my thyroid was on the low side f normal, which the doctor said we would keep in the back of our minds. After I had been there about an hour they gave me another dose of my BP meds. When I left my BP was 168/96. I was told to take it easy.

Apparently they don't know me well, that's not a command I can do easily. I will say I have tried. I went to IKEA with Matt yesterday and Church today, I didn't feel great either time, but other than that I am trying to sit still. My BP hasn't gotten as high as it was Friday, but my bottom number has not gone under 90 and at times my resting pulse is between 80 and 105. I try not to walk around too much, as it seems like every time I get up and move around my BP goes up and breathing gets a bit more difficult. The plan is for me to follow up with a cardiologist sometime this week. I am praying for answers and for whatever is causing this to stop. I am ready to feel good again. I am also slightly worried about the pressure I am feeling behind my right eye.
I am hoping that this second week of school goes even better than the first and that being back on routine will be good for us.
We have had a really good weekend (not taking into account how I feel, or regardless, we've not let me not feeling good ruin our weekend). Friday night Matt and I had planned a date night, but wasn't able to find a baby-sitter, which worked out as I couldn't go out anyway, so we made it an unofficial family movie night. We watched Beezus and Ramona, which we had not seen before, and really enjoyed it. Other than Ikea on Saturday we took it easy. We had planned for Saturday night of this week to be family game night. This time it was mine and Matt's turn to plan it and we really had a good time then too. Today we went to Church, Matt made lunch (I am so blessed!) and we played a game with the kiddos this afternoon. Now, the three of them are playing Minecraft and I'm working on this :) I truly do feel blessed and love all this family time we've had this weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.