"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Shattered again

I had 2 solid hours of sleep last night, my insomnia is out of control. I woke up so incredibly tired, my exhaustion seems to know no bounds. Elijah was up early too. He woke up with a sore throat, stuffy nose and he's extremely tired. I decided we would do a lighter load of school, so he could have some time to recover. I had just sat down at the computer when I heard a crash outside. The kids looked at me and I said "That sounded like an accident, and it didn't sound good." Imagine my surprise when I look down and see a car had slammed into MY parked car!!!! I saw the driver climbing out the passenger side of his car. The kids got upset and started freaking out. I grabbed the camera and told them I had to go downstairs to take care of it and that they needed to stay inside. I was worried that he might try to leave! I called Matt and let him know so that he could call the proper people. I got downstairs and my neighbor (thank God for my Greek neighbor!) was just getting ready to call me. I was so incredibly thankful that she was just getting ready to take her daughter to school, so that she could translate for me, if the guy didn't speak very much English.
I started taking pictures, the guy was on the phone. So he said something to me in Greek and I said "I don't speak Greek, but that's my car! It's my car!" There might have been a twinge of hysteria behind that statement. He said, "That's what I asked, if it was your car." And I said "yes." Like he didn't already know from what I had already said. He was very apologetic, told me multiple times he was sorry. I imagine he was surprised that I didn't fly off the handle and yell and scream at him. I asked him if he was okay, he was. I felt bad for him. He hits my car and I feel sorry for him, but I did tell him I was very thankful he was okay. I was already starting to mourn the freedom that comes with having your own car. The kids were worried about Elijah's booster seat and our History CD'S that were in the car.
G4S, the Embassy hired security system showed up, 2 cars, within 10 minutes of Matt's phone call. One of the guys was the supervisor. He started asking questions and took multiple pictures. He sent me back upstairs to get my driver's license. I was thinking, I wasn't driving, why does he need my license? But, I cooperated and got the paper work that they would need.
Anyway, Matt showed up a while later. The police showed up about an hour after the crash. It was very quick from that point. They took the statements, had Matt sign the paperwork, and the other car was towed away. The guy apologized to us again and got on his phone, I imagine to find a ride somewhere.
I had asked my neighbor what happened and she said he had swerved to avoid a black cat that was in the road. He was going pretty fast, he moved my car about 15 feet forward from where it was parked.
Trying to focus on some positive, Matt had just filled up the gas tank in the car yesterday. As you can see from the pictures, this guy hit pretty close to the gas tank. The puddle under the car is the gas leaking. At least the car didn't explode. At least we were not in the car. Thankfully, no body (not even the cat) was hurt. A lot of people were inconvenienced as our road is a very busy road and a lot of people had to deter, but it could have been worse. I have to tell you though, I am feeling very shattered. I hold it together well in an emergency and this morning was no exception. The kids have cried no less than three times each. I plan to have a good cry later, I need to. I feel very broken, like the back of my car. I am so incredibly tired and so frustrated. I know God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but I have to wonder how much more does He think I can take? I have reached my limit and thought I had reached my limit before my stupid parked car was damaged to the point of not being drivable. I have no idea how long my car will be in the shop and it frustrates me. Elijah has soccer practice twice a week and games on Saturday, how am I supposed to get him there? Ugh. I know it's not all about me, but right at this moment it is. I want to quit and throw in the towel. Today, I think I could get on a plane and not look back. I am a strong woman, but I don't feel that strong, I'm feeling pretty weak and tired. I am not praying for patience and I haven't been praying for patience, but being exhausted, I am at the end of my rope. The G4S guy said something about it not being my fault and I'm like how could it be, I was UPSTAIRS, no where near the car. The guy did admit to driving "a bit" over the speed limit coming down the street and the police report says he was "reckless" driving. It was a senseless, stupid accident and I know these things happen (and if one more person says that to me right now, I am going to scream), but it doesn't make me feel any better. I want to scream and shout and throw a tantrum, but really, what would that solve. So, I guess for now, I will put on my big girl panties, pull myself up, take care of the children and try to get through the rest of this day without losing my patience, or snapping at my children, because it's not their fault. It's not mine either, but it is what it is. If you think of praying for me today, I need sleep more than anything else. Matt has gone back to work and I will be here. We will worry about soccer later. It's 10:30am and I am soooooooo ready for this day to be over. I hope and pray your day starts off smoother than mine and you have a fabulous day. By the way, does anybody have a Kitkat? I need a break.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments bring me joy! Please share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.